Healthy Snacks

Join the conversation! You must be logged in to create or reply to a topic, so please use one of the social logins below.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author

kris_ann

My two boys won’t snack on fruits or vegetables (or eat them with meals for that matter). I can get a banana in them once in a while, but they prefer snacks like popcorn, pretzels or crackers. Other than smoothies (which are hit or miss in our house) any snack ideas that won’t spoil their lunch or dinner?

brandnewmommy

Some of my friends with children have found hummus to be popular with their little ones. The kids like dipping pita, pretzels, crackers, etc. in it…and it’s healthier than most cheeses and dips. Also, it’s easy to dole out in small portions on a plate so as not to spoil dinner! Might be something to try?

newcarsmelly

Have you tried dried fruit? My Brother in law was giving dried mango to his kids (2 of which are pretty picky) and they were chomping it up.

just a thought!

Good luck!

cooking_mom

Cooking Mom here from the Mom to Mom blog.

Here are a few ideas:

• Try changing up the presentation of fruits/veggies by having them make kebabs or creating their own fun dips
    • Hummus or white bean dip is a good addition to their pretzels and crackers
    • Spread nut or sunflower butter on crackers for more protein, you can also add dried fruit to that for extra yum. You can also make this into an Edible Art activity by making "snack bugs" with crackers, a spread and dried fruit.
    • Yogurt
    • Whole grain or veggie mini muffins (I add chocolate chips to zucchini muffins to hide the green bits my daughter claims not to like)
    • Trail mix – my daughter likes to pick and choose from a variety of dried fruits, nuts, snacks to add to her very own mix. You can even have your sons name their snack mix afterwards.
    • Frozen bananas dipped in honey or nut butters
    • Cheese sticks
    • Try freezing other fruit such as blueberries and grapes to see if they like them better that way
    Ruth
    Ruth

Have you signed up for our upcoming parent webinar?  Here’s the link to the registration page  http://tinyurl.com/449cwh7We are going to be talking about picky eaters.  We’ve got tons of great strategies for you…one of the strategies is to keep trying.  It takes a while for children’s taste buds to get used to new and different flavors.  Personally I’m still trying to get used to the taste of dirt (oh no…I mean beets). 

jluv1105

My 2 1/2 year old son doesn’t give me a problem.  Some of the things he likes is to dip cucumbers in ranch dressing.  I cut them in sticks and recently bought one of those "wavy cutters" so the rounds have ridges.  He also likes snacking on cherry tomatoes, mini carrots, strawberries, and grapes.

Ruth
    Ruth

Love the idea of using a wavy cutter.  Making healthy food fun is a great idea. 

Media Mom
    MediaMom

What about celery or apples with peanut butter? My mom used to make us "apple faces." Slice a cross section of apple, spread peanut butter on it and use raisins for eyes nose and mouth. (Use a chocolate chip for the nose every once in a while if they’ve been especially good.)

montclair_mommy

Although this will still lack some nutritional value there are many chips made from veggies, such as veggie straws veggie chips.  Also you could try yogurt covered fruit or mixing fruit into frozen yogurt.  Hope you find something that works!

healthy_momma

For really down-to-earth & do-able advice on influencing our children’s eating habits, I love Dr. Sears’ "9 Simple Steps" (to Raising a healthy Eater). It’s on YouTube at: http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48ACC9D57409924F
    Call me if you have questions: 303-817-6947.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here