Family Recipes: Homemade Applesauce
Making homemade applesauce can be a simple, yet fun, family activity. Our own Crafty Mom loves making applesauce with her children. Applesauce can make for an easy after-school snack, a sweet side dish, or even a tasty dessert (just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!). Well-known blogger, the Pioneer Woman, shares a delicious recipe for homemade applesauce on her site. Give it a try – you won’t be disappointed.
- 6 pounds apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, more or less to taste
- Optional ingredients: nutmeg, maple syrup, allspice, butter
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
- Carefully puree in a food processor or blender (don’t fill too full; split into two portions if needed) until smooth.
- Store in the fridge and serve by itself, over pork chops, over ice cream, etc.