10 Benefits of Having a Summer Baby
My girls were born in August and November and since I live in the Northeast that means I had one summer baby and one winter baby. While having a baby in the winter does have its benefits (someone has to stay inside snuggling the baby when there’s shoveling to do) the benefits of giving birth in the summer outweigh them for me. Here are 10 benefits of having a summer baby that I’ve come up with:
10 Perks of Having a Summer Baby
- You get to have your maternity leave during the best time of year.
- Fruits and veggies are at their peak which is so healthy for your postpartum body.
- No matter what district, your children will make school age cut-off dates.
- A UK study actually found health benefits for babies born in the summer that last into adulthood.
- Your working friends are more likely to take a day here or there off to keep you company.
- You’re likely wearing fewer layers of clothing which can lead to easy skin-to-skin time.
- Your baby will be wearing fewer items and therefore you’ll need fewer things – no hats, or layers, or car seat covers, etc. to lug around (something Laura celebrates in her summer baby beach bag post.)
- There are definitely fewer germs and colds floating around in the summer for your baby to catch.
- Flowy dresses and flip-flops are completely acceptable to wear 24/7.
- As your baby grows up, his or her birthday parties are pretty easy to plan (hello, outdoor celebrations).
These are some of the things I loved about having a summer baby. Did you have summer babies? Are there benefits you discovered that I left off?
I am many things to many people, but my favorite role of all, is as mom to my two girls, ages 8.5 and 3. I have pendulum swung between being a work-aholic mom and a stay-at-home mom and am currently trying to find the right balance of both worlds one day at a time. I’m pretty good at not sweating the small stuff and use the quote “Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.” from Ralph Waldo Emerson to guide me through life.
- Read more posts about summer from our Family Room bloggers.
- Family Room blog: Tips for First-Time Parents
- E-Family News: Baby Activities: What to Do When You’re at Home with a Newborn