10 Ways to Teach Kindness to Preschoolers
One of the most important things to me as a parent is to raise kind children and therefore, kind adults. As my babies have grown, it’s clear that while there is an innate kindness born within them, there is also situational kindness that needs be taught and fostered. Teaching kindness shows its importance and I believe, should focus on where the child is developmentally. My youngest, Hannah, as a preschooler, needs to know how to operate kindly within her world.
Here is a list of ideas on how to teach kindness to preschoolers:
- Do something nice for their teacher – paint them a picture, bring them a treat or a coffee.
- Donate toys that they don’t play with anymore. Explain how it will help children that aren’t as fortunate as they are.
- Smile at five people they see on the street.
- Invite all friends to play – excluding kids isn’t nice.
- Let a sibling pick the movie they’re going to watch.
- Draw a picture for a relative and send it to him or her in the mail.
- Help mom and dad with age-appropriate chores.
- Teach the “why” behind saying please and thank you.
- If you see someone being or doing something nice, point it out to your child.
- Share a favorite toy with a friend.
Mostly, I’m a firm believer that the best way to teach kindness to kids is to model the behavior yourself. They will learn by watching you be kind to friends, family and strangers.
What are ways that you’re teaching your preschooler kindness?
Editor’s Note: Read more posts from Emily including Building Confidence & Self-Esteem in Children and More Photos of Mom- The Viral Message that Hit Home for Me.
I am many things to many people, but my favorite role of all, is as mom to my two girls, ages eight and three. I have pendulum swung between being a work-aholic mom and a stay-at-home mom and am currently trying to find the right balance of both worlds one day at a time. I’m pretty good at not sweating the small stuff and use the quote “Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.” from Ralph Waldo Emerson to guide me through life.
- E-family news: Children’s Books that Teach Caring, Compassion & Kindness
- Take part in Random Acts of Kindness Week, which is taking place Feb 12-Feb 18.
- E-family news article: Teaching Integrity: Raising Children with Character & Principle
- The Family Room: Sibling Rivalry: How to Teach Kids to Be Kind
- Read more posts about kindness from our Family Room bloggers.