13 Things To Do at the Beach with Children
When you think of a trip to the beach, you think of lying in the warm sun and feeling the beautiful breeze from the ocean while enjoying a good book and frozen margarita making sure you have enough sunscreen, toys, games, snacks, drinks, and entertainment to keep your children happy. Once you find your spot on the sand, now what? Here are some beach activities to keep your kids entertained.
13 Beach Activities for Kids
- Build a sandcastle. Be sure to pack little figurines (princesses, dragons, etc.) and make the castle come to life!
- Have a scavenger hunt. List items to find such as seashells, snails, rocks, etc.
- Pack a ball and play beach soccer or kickball. Be mindful of others if the beach is crowded.
- Bring a boogie board. Ride the waves!
- Send your kids on a treasure hunt. Bring coins or objects and hide them in the sand and around your area for your children to find.
- Hold an obstacle course/relay race. This is good exercise and can be as easy as jumping over buckets or towels, running to the water to fill up a bucket and bring it back, etc.
- Draw hopscotch in the sand. Use a seashell as a marker.
- Play tic-tac-toe. Draw the game board in the sand.
- Have a family picnic. Packing lunch? Bring a blanket and eat picnic-style!
- Collect items and have your child count them. Take away and add to work on math skills.
- Go for a walk along the shore. See what living animals (snails, starfish, crabs, seagulls) you can spot.
- Take a moment to relax. Find a shady area or get under a tent/umbrella and read your child one of their favorite books.
- Collect shells. Find pretty seashells for art projects that will make for great weekend activities later in the summer.
What beach activities do your kids like best?
Resources Related to the Beach Activities with Children:
- Want to know what should you pack? How to stay safe? And which snacks to bring to the beach? Check out the Bright Horizons Family Beach Guide.
- Read 5 tips from a blogger mom on her first vacation with her baby
- Spending time at the beach this summer? Be sure to check out Mary’s Tips for a Successful Beach Trip, Even More Tips for a Successful Beach Trip and Caty’s Beach Safety Tips for Kids
- Bright Horizons Online Community: Waterproof Sunscreen for Kids & Sunscreen for Infants
- E-family news: Fun Summer Activities for Families
- Read more posts about summer from the Family Room bloggers