15 Freezer Meals for New Moms
I’ve been told that preparing freezer meals in anticipation of that first week at home with your newborn isn’t completely necessary. For your second child? Yes, it’s necessary, but not so much for the first one. You know what else isn’t necessary? Hanging a gallery wall above your newborn’s changing table, reading multiple books on pregnancy and parenting, and making sure your baby has the perfect area rug in his or her room. But I chose to do those things too. There are many things we do as first time moms-to-be that we could get by without, but doing them makes us feel better. It makes us feel more prepared. So when I was about 38 weeks pregnant, I filled my Sunday afternoon with preparing a week’s worth of meals that I could freeze. Not only does it make me feel a little more prepared, but it also filled a few hours of my time with something more productive than wondering whether or not it’s actually possible to stay pregnant forever.
I did a lot of scouring through food blogs and Pinterest to find the meals that would suit us best, but there are enough options out there to satisfy anyone’s palate. I went with Southwest Chicken Tacos, Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Taquitos, Freezer Mini Pizzas, and Chicken Fajitas. The chicken fajitas were not an actual “freezer meal”. I transformed it into one by preparing the chicken and vegetables with their respective marinades and freezing them in large plastic bags. All of these meals will stay good in the freezer for up to three months. So in the event that friends or family bring us meals for the first week, these will still be convenient to have for weeks two and beyond.
Freezer Meals for New Moms
It was challenging to narrow it down to five meals with so many choices out there. Here’s a more diverse list (including the recipes listed above) for those of you looking for different options.
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Casserole from Inquiring Chef
- White Chicken Chili from Inquiring Chef
- Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps from Sweet Peas and Saffron
- Black Bean & Spinach Enchilada Casserole from Kiwi & Bean
- Southwest Chicken Tacos from Big Bear’s Wife
- Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Taquitos from Damn Delicious
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole from Six Sisters Stuff
- Creamy Lasagna without Ricotta Cheese from Grace & Good Eats
- Freezer Mini Pizzas from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- Turkey Spinach Meatballs courtesy of Veggies by Candelight
- Chicken Fajitas from Skinny Taste
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers courtesy of Alex Caspero, MA, RD, from Delicious Knowledge
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken from Gimme Some Oven
- Creamy Burrito Casserole from Food.com
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork from Snappy Gourmet
If you’re in your last few weeks of pregnancy and looking for a productive way to pass the time, I would highly recommend preparing a few meals. Maybe it isn’t completely necessary, but I bet you won’t regret having a few less meals to cook while adjusting to life with your newborn!
- Read more posts about family recipes from the Family Room bloggers
- Bright Horizons on Pinterest: Kid-friendly Recipes Board
- E-Family News: Family Meals: The Importance of Quality Time