Parenting Tips & Tricks: 5 Baby Hacks That Make Life Easier
I don’t know about you, but when scrolling through my social media feed I always click on posts talking about “hacks” (which is a clever use for something in a way it wasn’t intended for originally). I love to check out how other people get creative with the things around them.
So in the spirit of sharing here are my favorite infant parent hacks:
5 Parenting Hacks for New Parents
- Make the morning rush more bearable by putting your little one down for bed already dressed for the next day. I leave for work before the sun and the rest of my family gets up, so morning drop-offs fall into my husband’s lap. To help ease his morning stresses (especially in the beginning), I would put Cab down the night before dressed for the next day. That way, my husband just had one less thing to worry about.
- Get more out of a laundry basket by using it in the tub. I had a major splasher on my hands, and water would be everywhere. Once Cab was old enough to sit up on his own, we moved bath time from the kitchen sick to the tub. To help corral him and his bath toys, we use an empty laundry basket to put him in while in the tub; not only does it allow for water flow, but it dries fast, is easy to clean, and best of all it’s free!
- Getting veggies into your little one can be challenging… unless you’re my child (whose favorite food is broccoli, closely followed by pasta). Even though Cab loves vegetables, we still like to incorporate them into every meal, which can be difficult when we’re talking breakfast. To help rectify this, we mix our favorite fruit/veggie commercial baby food with whole milk plain yogurt. The natural sweetness of the fruit makes the yogurt plenty sweet enough and we know he is getting at least some veggies for breakfast.
- Breastfeeding and pumping came with its own set of challenges for me, but one thing that I found super useful was the tip I learned early on: my pump parts didn’t have to be washed each time after use if stored in my refrigerator. This was extremely helpful for me when I had my hands full the first few months with my squirmy newborn.
Now, my #5 hack isn’t something I found, or have done myself… yet. But nothing is worse than a teething baby and sooner, rather than later, those pesky molars will be coming in! So, courtesy of fellow blogger, Laura:
- Use gluten free frozen waffles to help ease teething pain. Yup, right out of the freezer. Since the waffle is made from rice, it naturally dissolves easier than a traditional waffle. It also tastes great and is cool on the gums. Check, check, check! In my mind, anything to help sooth Cab while he is so uncomfortable gets a good ol’ thumbs up in my book.
So what kind of parenting hacks do you swear by? We are getting to that one year mark in my house, which has its own challenges, so I am interested in hearing from other moms & dads who have been in my shoes!
I am Aili, a first-time mom and lover of cloth diapers and cute baby fashion. As an avid bargain shopper who will stand in line to snag the right deal, if I’m not searching out an outfit for my little man, you can find me in the home décor. I am excited to share with you all my mishaps and successes as I navigate this thing called parenting.