6 Indoor Activities to Encourage Creativity
In need of some fun indoor activities to keep your little one entertained that don’t involve more TV or tablet time? Grab any of these items from around the house, and let your child’s imagination take it from there.
Open-Ended Materials that Spark a Child’s Imagination
- Bubble wrap: Invite your child to decide how this packing material might be repurposed – maybe it’s a runway or if your child is all about cars and trucks – a road!
- A cardboard box: With a little creativity, there’s no limit to what a cardboard box can become. A big part of its appeal is imagining what it could be – a tunnel, a pirate ship, a car, a play house, a rocket…the possibilities are truly endless.
- Contact paper, tape, and leftover craft supplies: With these items, you can make a sticky mural. Put out leftover craft supplies, and household items like bottle caps, pipe cleaners and pieces of straws for your child to choose from to decorate the canvas. (Something to keep in mind, if your child still likes to put items in his mouth, this activity is not for her.)
- A large plastic container: Fill a Tupperware container with pom poms or cotton balls to make a fun sensory bin your child can explore using tongs or chopsticks. Or to help beat the rainy/snowy day blues, using just a little food coloring and some creativity, create a fun beach-themed play scene.
- Writing supplies. Staple a few pieces of paper together to create a story book. Encourage your child to fill the book with pictures or words – or both. For children who aren’t yet able to write, offer to transcribe their story for them.
- Blankets & pillows: Fort building is a great group activity that helps foster pretend play. Kids will add their own unique touches to it and once they’re done, they’ll play in it for hours.
Editor’s note: We’ll be talking more about fun and educational activity ideas for kids during our upcoming webinar, The Essentials of Learning Through Play. With special guest and educator Ann Gadzikowski, we’ll explore the essential play experiences that help your child grow and learn. Join us by registering here.