9 Holiday Gifts for Grandparents
With a very active, excitable, and overall fun toddler in the house, I am definitely getting into the holiday spirit a bit more than I usually do. I’ve got lists for Kayla’s “big” gift options as well as stocking stuffer ideas, and a wish list (yes, after much debate last year, we gave in to the idea of a wish list) to give her aunties, uncles, and grandparents some ideas. I am also keeping these handy tips in mind for this year too.
I have some gift ideas for the other folks on my list as well, but gifting for my husband’s and my parents has always been challenging. There’s not much they want, they don’t give us any hints, and oh boy, are tech gadgets are a complete and utter waste of money (and our time since s/he who gifted the technology must also provide lessons on using said technology!). But gifting Kayla’s grands is a whole new story, and this crafty DIY mama is excited to explore our options this holiday season!
If you’re looking for a memorable holiday gift for your child’s grandparent, here are nine thoughtful ideas that they will cherish for years to come:
Heartfelt Holiday Gift Ideas for Grandparents
- A simple frame with a favorite photo of their grandchild (a plus, if it’s a great photo of her with them!)
- Photo album or printed book filled with memories from the past year. If you’re like me, you may have parents constantly asking for the latest and greatest photos of your kid(s). Well, in addition to texting them, I’ve printed a bunch and bought a good old-fashioned photo album that I keep adding to over time. My parents love to flip through it .
- Calendar of the last year – Last year I gifted my husband (and myself) a personalized calendar for our offices with photos from each month of last year (starting with me pregnant for the first part of the year). It’s been so fun to flip the page on the calendar to the next month to see what we were doing this time last year and to see how much our daughter has grown since then! I love it so much I want to do it again, but at the same time I’m hesitant to create such a time-consuming tradition…but maybe it’ll work for the grands this year!
- Art—think hand-prints galore! We’ve created turkeys, butterflies, hearts, and so much more just from some simple (and adorable) hand and feet prints! You can even spruce up a gift card with your child’s art to add a special touch.
- Keepsake ornament—last year for Kayla’s first Christmas we used those little kits to make molds of her little hands and feet and hung them on our tree. And to commemorate her first Christmas, we had a special ornament personalized with her age, the year, and her name. These would also make a wonderful gift for her grandparents.
- If you are lucky to have tech-savvy grands and are splurging on gadgets, are you able to personalize it with something your child can contribute? One of the best gifts I’ve heard of was a present a colleague had been given for Mother’s Day. Her husband helped the kids record a message for her upon turning on her new gadget. She transferred it on to new gadgets over time and played us an adorable message of her now full-grown sons saying, “Happy Mother’s Day! We love you, Mama!” We all melted upon hearing this, and what grandparent wouldn’t do the same?
- Games and activities for them to enjoy with your child when they’re over for a visit. There’s nothing like making the grands’ home more fun and comfortable for your child and your parents—and easier for you to drop them off for a visit!
- Recordable books—we’ve purchased these for several family members near and far asking them to record their voice reading the story. This is great especially for out-of-state family members to be a part of a bedtime routine.
- Out of time or not feeling so crafty? Leave it to Etsy to create a beautiful and incredibly personalized gift for the grands.
How about you? Do you have any gift ideas for grandparents to add? Are your kids helping with gifts for their grandparents this year?
- Bright Horizons Online Community:Parent Conversations about Holiday Gifts (for teachers, grandparents, etc.)
- Bright Horizons on Pinterest: Holidays Board, Arts & Crafts Board
- Read more post about grandparents, posts about holidays and posts about gift ideas from The Family Room bloggers