Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Biggest Tip for a Mom-to-Be

Home Forums Parenting Pregnancy Biggest Tip for a Mom-to-Be

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of   5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

I went to a baby shower over the weekend and one of the activities during it was to write down your #1 most important tip for the mom-to-be. It was really hard to come up with just one! And to prioritize! The one I shared was SLEEP. Sleep as much as humanly possible before the baby arrives!

It’s a fun question, though, and really got me thinking. What would you have said? Would love to hear what other moms and dads think.

Profile photo of

prep and freeze meals or have lots of take out menus handy! 😉

I hated having to think about dinner those first few weeks – ok even months!

Toya C
    Participant

"Do what works"…

You don’t have to do every last thing by the books. If you are ultra-determined to breastfeed, but it doesn’t work for you, don’t worry about it. You need to put some of your preconceived notions about what parenting will be like to the side and choose the options that work for your family.

Trust your gut.  If you think something is not right, don’t ever be afraid to speak up or ask questions.  With that, find a pediatrician who will answer all your questions, professionally and respectfully, no matter how silly you think they may be.

Always remember that "This Too Shall Pass".  The sleepless nights, the uncontrollable screaming, the tantrums, the biting, the bathroom accidents, the food throwing on the floor.  Breath deep, your child will sleep through the night, use the potty, stop biting, eat properly, etc…  In the moment it’s so hard to remember these things.  Just as the bad will pass, so will the good.  The middle of the night feedings (snuggle time), the baby smiles, the 1st step, the constant hugs and kisses, the wonder of the world, etc…  Enjoy it all, the good and the bad because for better or worse, it will all pass.

Profile photo of

Appreciate each and every moment…even some of the bad ones. Every single moment goes by so fast when they’re young.

I agree with other posters for sure.  Enjoying every moment is definitely an important tip.  So is doing what you feel is right.  Here is an additional tip…you can’t spoil a baby so love your new one, cuddle and snuggle and do whatever it takes to make them feel safe and happy.   You will enjoy that time and you will make your baby very happy and secure!

Profile photo of Jennifer Boggs
    Jennifer Boggs
    Participant

One of the best tips I got was from my mother-in-law: what would you want if you were a baby? It’s really another way of saying "be empathetic," but the question helped me a lot, as in: Would you want to sit in a wet diaper? Would you want to always look waaay up to look in someone’s eyes? Are you sometimes hungry one day but not the next?

It sounds basic, but it helped me a lot more than some more prescriptive advice about what to do.

I would say  ask for help when you need it and get lots of rest.

Try to enjoy every day!

My girls are 17, 19 and 21, and I wish I didn’t try to do it all and be "perfect".

It went by so fast:(

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.