Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Birthing classes with 2nd pregnancy?

Home Forums Parenting Pregnancy Birthing classes with 2nd pregnancy?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lakshmi Reddy Lakshmi Reddy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

I’m debating whether or not to take birthing classes during my 2nd pregnancy.

While I have an older child and went through the classes before, it has been 5 years. Might be worth a refresher? Other moms out there – did you take classes with more than one of your pregnancies? Or, is it the type of thing that will really just come back to me when the moment arrives? Would love to hear what others have done.

I also have 5 years between children. My husband and I decided to do a "refresher" course. I’m not sure it was that helpful when it came down to the actual birthing process but it did help us to come to terms with the reality that another baby was coming. And some of the "first days at home" info was helpful to hear again.

We also took our daughter to a siblings class which I found helpful for preparing her for the baby. They covered what mom & dad’s jobs were, what her job was (nice touches, talking, etc.), and let them make "birth" cards that they put on the bassinet in the hospital.

I sort of wish they had one for her now that he’s 10 months – she could use an update on how to interact with her brother.

I would suggest going to birthing classes every time.  I thought with my last one that I didn’t need it since his sister was born 2 years earlier, but during labor I wished I had gone to the classes.

http://www.schoolmykids.com

@schoolmykids

Toya C
    Participant

I only took classes with the first pregnancy, but like the previous poster, I also kind of wished I had taken them again. Never hurts to have a refresher.

Profile photo of Mary
    Mary
    Participant

I skipped the classes with the 2nd one.  I found the best part of the class was really learning about the process, what to expect, where to go, etc…  The breathing techniques didn’t do much the first time and I don’t think they would have helped much the 2nd either.

Profile photo of Lakshmi Reddy
    Lakshmi Reddy
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.