Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Books to start an infant’s library

Home Forums Early Education Books to start an infant’s library

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Karrie Triola Karrie Triola 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of

I’m expecting my first child and would love to begin building his or her home library right from the start! Do you all have suggestions for great books for infants? I’ve heard board books are a great place to start…but do you have any favorites I should look for?

I love alllllll of the Eric Carle books! Great illustrations that your little one will LOVE!

Nursery rhymes that you can sing to the baby, sturdy books of first signs (sign language), Eric Carle, and books with pictures of babies (human or animal) were my older daughter’s favorites and she continues to love them even at 3.5….  Our newborn loves anything that gets us to sing or talk to her and isn’t really focusing on the pictures yet, but we are sure she will have similar tastes (since big sister reads her old favorites to the baby as well).

Profile photo of Amy Ames
    Amy Ames

To start an infant library is a great idea.

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

Good for you for doing this!!  If you have any say in your baby shower, some planners ask guests to bring a small board book for the new baby.  I think this is a cute idea, although never the receiver so you could also get some duplicates.

My favorite and go to gift is Everywhere Babies.  It’s a little long, but has a nice rhythm and both my kids heard this book regularly starting at around 3 months.

Good Night Moon is a staple and I agree Eric Carle books. I Love You More by Laura Duksta and all the books by Karen Katz are great (although with flaps in them babies like to tear those).

Only One You by Linda Kranz is a beautiful book.  I love the story.  I haven’t seen it as a board book so it’s one I pull off the shelf for me to read.  Not one left at my babies level.

I recommend going to your local book store and just pulling books off the shelf and flipping through the pages, it will help get you excited and you’ll be surprised at how many titles you recognize.

* Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson (and all of her other bear books)
    * Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
    * Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs by Byron Barton
    * I Dreamt I was a Dinosaur by Stella Blackstone
    * Time for Bed by Mem Fox
    * Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
    * Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed? by Barney Saltzberg
    * I’ll See You in the Morning by Mike Jolley

Definitely get board books. They’re easier to handle when you’re trying to juggle a squirming baby plus a bottle and a pacifier all at once. And when your baby gets a little older, he or she will love flipping the pages.

For DVDs, I highly recommend getting the HBO Classical Baby 3-Pack (Art, Music and Dance). Believe it or not, they helped by baby calm down and fall asleep a lot!! They were life savers for me.

Board books are a great idea.  Raffi "Songs to Read’ are wonderful because you can either sing or read the words.  Wheels On The Bus and Baby Beluga are favorites.

Amy
    Amy
    Participant

My sister asked everyone to bring a book for my baby shower. It was a great way to discover great books as recommended by other children. At 4, my daughter still pulls out those books to read. One thing I wished everyone would have done is signed the inside so I can remember who gave her which book.

Some of her faves when she was an infant:

• Alligator Alphabet and Counting Cockatoos by Stella Blackstone
    • Papa, Please get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle
    • All the Dr. Seuss books (I happen to have a mini collection from when I was in college so that was helpful)

When they are infants you have a lot of flexibility of stories so just read anything with big bright pictures and I’m sure your baby will be engaged just by hearing your voice and snuggling on your lap.

Enjoy this time because in a short year or so you will read the same books over and over and over again.

I know this is a late reply to your post, but hopefully your still building that library!  I was very lucky to have a book baby shower and received an large number of really terrific books.  While there are many that I love, I found just a handful that the baby responded to.  Here are some of our family favorites.

I Kissed the Baby & How Kind by Mary Murphy

I Went Walking by Sue Williams

Any of the Maisy books by Lucy Cousins

As he got older…

Dear Zoo by Rod Campell

Five Little Monkeys

Me Hungry

Happy reading!

Profile photo of

Thank you! These are great suggestions…I’m definitely still building up my library. I’m off to a great start, too!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.