Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Children and table manners

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting Children and table manners

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Macy Macy 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Toya C
    Participant

The challenge of the week at our house is table manners. Both my kindergartener and my toddler have been displaying less than angelic behavior during mealtimes. In the course of the meal, we have moments of chewing with mouths open, getting up out of chairs, standing on chairs, refusing to eat…and it seems that they are playing off of each other. I feel a bit ganged up on here! Any suggestions for how to squash bad behavior at the table?

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

I recently read about The "Teaching Children Table Manners" Game! Cute idea in theory, but I haven’t tried it yet myself to know how well it works. There are some good tips in here about which manners to focus on and how to implement a "game" to help your children learn the behavior. Here’s a summary of the game:

"Next to everyone’s dinner plate, place a little stack of candies (maybe Starbursts, mini-candy bars, whatever you like).  Nobody can touch their candies, yet. They are going to be their dessert, IF they earn it. Throughout dinner, they need to watch each other. If anyone can catch someone breaking a table manner’s rule, they can have one of the offender’s candies to add to their stack. Any arguing will lead to two candies being taken. Everyone really has to be on guard to catch offenders, but to also govern themselves. When dinner is over and clean-up is complete, everyone can gobble the treats they earned from having good manners. Play the game several times and watch good manners really take hold!"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.