Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Children and technology

Home Forums Early Education Children and technology

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adrienne Isaacs Adrienne Isaacs 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Have you seen this video of the infant who is confused when her magazine doesn’t respond to touch the same way as an iPad? I thought this was so, so interesting and very telling of where we are as a society with technology. However, people’s reactions to this video are passionate and divided. While some agree that technology is good for kids and that they need to stay current with the changing world others argue that diversion from traditional learning is harmful. What do you think? Interested to hear your reactions to this video.

A Magazine is an iPad That Does Not Work: http://youtu.be/aXV-yaFmQNk?

Hmm… Interesting video… More interesting though are all the comments… Folks certainly do get whipped up into a frenzied debate pretty easily!!… I can only assume the intention of the video was a bit tongue-in-cheek and lighthearted and the text was just exaggerated and hyperbolic to be catchy, that’s the way you generate views on youtube.  But I guess it simply intended or not, the discussion it sparked shows the huge concern that we currently have as a society over the effect that technology will have on children and their development.

I think it boils down to moderation. Extremes are generally unhelpful in my opinion. I think a child who is NEVER allowed near technology is as disadvantaged as the child who spends ALL his/her time in front of some sort of screen. I think every generation will have its concerns about what new technology will do to change our lives. For this generation it’s ipads, the one before us it was TV, and before that it was radio, and before that, etc, etc…. But with moderation we can control whatever new technology comes along and not become controlled by it. I think children should learn moderation through their parents’ examples and limits-setting.

That said, I also think the young child who learns primarily through screens and other passive means (i.e.. computer games, TV programs, worksheets/workbooks, etc.) may indeed become comfortable and familiar with technology, but won’t necessary keep up with the changing times as he/she will not have the early experiences that create an active, curious and innovative mind which is what is most needed to keep up in today’s world. On the other hand, a child who learns primarily through active exploratory means (i.e.. building, painting, experimenting, assembling, climbing etc….) will more likely have the early experiences that develop a creative, agile, and versatile mind. A child with that active early education may grow up to create technology rather than simply knowing how to use it. "The Uni­ver­sity of North Carolina’s Abecedar­ian Early Child Inter­ven­tion pro­gram found that chil­dren who received an enriched, play-oriented par­ent­ing and early child­hood pro­gram had sig­nif­i­cantly higher IQ’s at age five than did a com­pa­ra­ble group of chil­dren who were not in the pro­gram (105 vs. 85 points).?" quoted from this article: http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2008/06/09/cognitive-and-emotional-development-through-play/?

Anyway… intriguing video…. the comment threads/discussion that it started certainly made me think. Thanks for posting it.

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

So interesting! I agree that exposure to technology is good (even vital) but that it really should be everything in moderation. You can’t go all tech or no tech, instead you have to keep exposure balanced. Our children live in a high-tech world that is only going to get more advanced…just as we were part of a more tech world than the generation before us. It’s important to keep up with a changing society, but still hold on to some key elements from the past.

Can I add this as my growing list of reasons for why I should get an iPad for Christmas? :smileywink:

How intersting that the AAP just released its position statement today about young children and media usage. I guess everyone is thinking about the same things at the same time! Prompted me to write a longer treatise on this very interesting question… http://www.teachermomonline.com/?p=172?

Believe in screen time moderation and management for our child. Moderation probably a good idea for adults too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.