Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Choosing a daycare center: near home or near work?

Home Forums Early Education Choosing a daycare center: near home or near work?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Samantha Morales 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alicia
    Alicia

When selecting a child care center, did you opt for a facility near your home or near your work? I’m thinking through the pros and cons of both and would be interested in what experiences others have had and what people’s preferences are.

After a lot of internal struggle, we ultimately chose a center near my work. Especially when my son was an infant, it was comforting for me to have him very close all day. Now that he’s older, I sometimes wish he didn’t have to endure the longer commute…but even so, it’s nice bonding time for the two of us.

I think either way you go there are going to be pros and cons, so there really isn’t a wrong choice. Just choose which option has the most pros for your family.

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

Some daycare centers charge a rate for 6-8 hours per day or a higher rate 8+ hours per day, so depending on your commute it might make more financial sense to choose a daycare closer to work!

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

We chose a center for my first child that was near my husband’s office. It worked out really well for our family and we plan to enroll our new baby there in the coming year when he/she arrives!

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

We chose a center for my first child that was near my husband’s office. It worked out really well for our family and we plan to enroll our new baby there in the coming year when he/she arrives!

Profile photo of MomtoMom
    MomtoMom

We went back and forth with this decision and ultimately went with a center near work (I wrote about it on the Mom to Mom blog). I won’t lie and say there aren’t days when it would be easier for him to be near home so my husband could ocassionally pick him up or drop him off instead of me but I wouldn’t trade it for a minute compared to how wonderful it’s been to be able to see him during the day and be able to pop over at any point if he’s having a tough day (or frankly, if i’m having a tough day!). I feel so much more connected to his life at the center than I know I would if we chose a center near home instead. It has made a huge difference in making the transition back to work easier on me. 

Every situation is different so definitely think about what makes sense for your family in terms of schedule and availability of child care but I can’t say enough about how a center close to work has worked out for my own family. 

My first child was at a center close to the office, which was wonderful because I could run over for special events like the Halloween parade…and for the occasional disaster. It was also convenient because of the center’s 5:45 p.m. closing time. When my second child went to a center six years later, I was working from home but our son was in kindergarten eight miles away, so we selected a center closer to home and our toddler joined the kindergarten car pool and got dropped off en route to school. I vote for near your workplace for another reason: when you have an early morning doctor’s appointment, you can drop your child off at the center just before you go into the office.

Samantha Morales
    Participant

We chose near work. Given how unpredictable the length of the commute can be, I wanted a center where I would not have stress about getting to our little one by pick up time even if I get held up at work. I also like knowing that if she’s sick I can get to her quickly, and sneak away for an occasional lunch date with her! That said, I think it’s far more important to choose a facility based on your comfort with the teachers, curriculum, etc, so I would t let my decision be dictated by location. Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.