Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Choosing a hotel when traveling with an infant

Home Forums Parenting Infant Choosing a hotel when traveling with an infant

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MomtoMom MomtoMom 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of

I’m going on a beach vacation later this summer with extended family, my husband and soon-to-be 10 month old. We are currently trying to decide on a hotel in the town we’re visiting. This will be the first time we’re staying in a hotel with our baby and I’m wondering if there are any particular features I should be looking for? Are certain hotels more family-friendly than others? Is this a question I should ask when booking? Any advice advice would be very welcomed.

Profile photo of MomtoMom
    MomtoMom

If possible, I would suggest trying to find a family-friendly hotel. Most hotels are pretty family friendly these days but it’s always good to make sure you aren’t staying someplace geared more for couples where your baby’s chatter is greeted with eye rolls instead of smiles. Trip Advisor is a great resource for getting other people’s feedback on the amentities and general vibe of a hotel. One thing to consider since you are staying with family is to ask if it’s possible to get adjoining rooms or rooms next to one another. I know some people are fine with leaving a monitor on but if you aren’t comfortable with that, it’s nice to have somewhere to hang out and get some adult time during nap times and after bed time.

A tip that worked for my family when traveling with the baby was to splurge for a room that was more suite-style. If you think you’ll be spending any significant amount of time in the hotel, this can be really useful during nap times. It’s nice to be able to close the baby off in their own part of the room while having another part for you and other adults to hang out and chat without waking the baby.

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

I agree with both posts.  I asked the hotels what the room configuration was like whenever I needed to stay in a room with my baby.  In one case the room had a large closet the pack n play would partially fit in, in another case there was a sitting area and a 1/2 wall that divided the bed from the couch.  I know double trees usually have a suite style room.  Even a hotel room with a big bathroom might help for having a room to close your child in to help reduce noise.  Good luck!

I third the vote on a suite style room. It’s nice to have a place to hang out with your husband while the baby is sleeping that is not in the main bedroom. I also would make sure that the room has a fridge. Most places do but we recently stayed at a hotel that didn’t have one. If you have bottles or baby food that needs refrigeration this could be an issue.

You didn’t mention if you were flying or driving but another thing we did when we took our first child across the country at 7 months old was find a local baby rental place. We rented a high chair, age-appropriate toys and even a beach basket which included shovels, pails and other fun beach toys.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.