Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Diaper Bags

Home Forums Parenting Pregnancy Diaper Bags

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aaron Paker Aaron Paker 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of

Another mommy newbie question…

Does anyone have advice on what to look for in a diaper bag? I’m trying to fight the urge to buy something just because it’s cute! I know once the baby is here, I’m going to care a whole lot more about it being functional vs. fashionable. Any must-have features in a bag? 

Profile photo of Aaron Paker
    Aaron Paker

Petunia Picklebottom…cute and functional (yes this from a macho dad)…they are pricey (good to get friends to come together and get as a shower gift) but they have a ton of room, they are easy to use, and they have a removeable changing pad so you don’t have to take the whole bag into the restroom with you for a quick change.  Often times at restaurants I grab the diaper the wipes container (which comes with it) and the pad and I can change my daughter even if the men’s room has no changing table and I don’t have the bulky bag to contend with in the confined space.  I also use an REI small shoulder bag for short trips or when I just want to look more manly with my accoutrements…there are a ton of sizes and colors and since they are designed for sportsfolk they hold a lot in a little space.

Small backpack from Babies R us. Functional and your arms are free. Mine has a cooler section. Love it and will use it even after my 2 year old is out of diapers. good to go anywhere, lightweight and your arms are free which is helpful with a baby!

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

With my first child, I bought a Vineyard Vines tote bag.  It was the perfect size.  It allowed me to carry what I needed but didn’t tempt me to overpack.  I bought a changing pad from Pottery Barn Kids – you can get changing pads anywhere so don’t make this your requirement for buying a bag.  That tote eventually retired and became a beach tote for me.  It retired when I had baby #2.  I was out with a friend one day and fell in love with her idea which was a Vera Bradley backpack.  What I disliked about the tote bag was anytime I bent over to pick up my daughter, the tote bag fell off my shoulder and bumped her in the head.  With the backpack, I didn’t have to worry about it.  I bought a smaller bag that carried diapers, wipes, baggies and back-up undies for my older daughter.  This allowed me to just grab this when I needed to do a changing or was just heading out for a quick errand.  Same concept though, the bag wasn’t too big that I overpacked.  You just need something to carry essentials, anything more and you’ll get tired of carrying the bag real quick.  And, get something in a style/brand you like.  It will also be your purse for over a year so you really want to feel stylish too.

Profile photo of Sandra Flick
    Sandra Flick

When pregnant with my babes, I was always happiest when I could easily locate the things I needed within the diaper bag. That being said, I am a huge fan of interior and exterior pockets. Nothing to search for in a loose bag is just one less thing to worry about.

Media Mom
    Media Mom
    Participant

I’d say the most important factors are easily cleanable exterior and exterior pockets for diapers, wipes container, diaper cream and the changing pad. You won’t believe how many times you’ll just grab those items and head to the restroom, leaving the rest of the bag with dad, hanging on the stroller, at the restaurant table, etc..

Profile photo of

These are great suggestions, thank you all. Now where do I start… I might need to get more than one! :smileyhappy:

Kate
    Kate
    Keymaster

I was just gifted a Ju-Ju-Be diaper bag and love it. It’s adorable looking and I’ve also heard from lots of moms that it’s very functional (lots of pockets/compartments, easy to clean). I also like that it comes with straps to wear it like a messenger bag or a backpack. 

Pockets, pockets, pockets!
    I bought my current one from My Thirty One but it doesn’t have to be expensive to be a  great diaper bag.?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.