Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Explaining divorce to children

Home Forums Parenting Preschool Explaining divorce to children

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Allison Allison 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Colleen
    Colleen

I am the divorced mom of a preschooler. My ex-husband and I separated a little over a year ago. I’m lucky that our divorce was fairly amicable and we have had very few problems co-parenting since splitting. Lately, however, my daughter has been asking a lot of questions about the divorce and "why mommy and daddy do not live together." I think a year of maturity has made a big difference in her comprehending the concept – as a toddler, she didn’t seem to understand what was happening. But, now, it’s obvious she has a lot of questions.

Does anyone have guidance for the best way to talk to my daughter about this subject without giving her too much/little to handle? It’s definitely a difficult concept to discuss with a preschooler and it would be great to hear from others who may have experienced these types of questions from young ones.

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

Although I have never gone through a divorce , I did remember reading this article from Bright Horizons’ eFamily news.  It may help: http://www.brighthorizons.com/efamily-news/articles/june-01-2011-parenting-through-divorce

Best of luck 😉

Caty Trio
    Participant

Colleen – the e-family article that afraser217? suggested is really a great resource. I also wanted to make sure to direct you to the additional information at the bottom of the article. This area includes some additional websites and books that may be helpful as you are thinking about how to have discussions like this with your daughter. Best of luck.

Toya C
    Participant

Hi Colleen2878. I haven’t personally experienced this, but I know close family members and friends who have. One support outlet that was very helpful for my sister was a local divorced parents group that she joined. I think they met bi-weekly, and it was a place to talk openly about any issues these parents were going through related to divorce. I know for my sister it was a great place to get advice from other people who were experiencing many of the same things she was. I believe many communities have groups like these.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.