Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Father’s Day gift ideas?

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Father’s Day gift ideas?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Caty Trio 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Toya C
    Participant

Hi all. I am trying to thing of fun Father’s Day gift ideas for my kids to give my husband this year, and I am STUMPED! I’m not looking for anything excessive or expensive, just something simple – maybe even homemade? I have 3 little ones, ages 5 and under, so the simpler the better. Anyone have any good gift ideas?

Caty Trio
    Participant

Hi Toya! Here is a great link that was recently shared out by Bright Horizons on Twitter. It gives a lot of creative ideas for making Father’s Day fun for the whole family:

@brighthorizons: Plan

ahead for #Dad & have fun w/ your #kids! It’s not too early

to make Fathers Day #gifts! Great ideas from @FamilyFunbit.ly/jwLZIp

Caty Trio
    Participant

Hi Toya! Here is a great link that was recently shared out by Bright Horizons on Twitter. It gives a lot of creative ideas for making Father’s Day fun for the whole family:

@brighthorizons: Plan ahead for #Dad & have fun w/ your #kids! It’s not too early to make Fathers Day #gifts! Great ideas from @FamilyFunbit.ly/jwLZIp

Setting aside my daycare hat and speaking as a daddy.  One of my favorite gifts I have gotten was when my youngest was a toddler and her teachers got one of my ties and some other daddy clothes and took a picture of her pretending to be me, then they laminated it.  Something like that in a Dollar Stor frame would be easy and give dad something to proudly display at work.  Another fun one I helped make was a handyman’s guide that a classroom put together with quotes from all of the kids telling their dads how to do chores like taking out the garbage and changing light bulbs.  The children (4 year olds) then illustrated the dictated pages and it was comb-bound into a book.

Don’t underestimage the simple things your little ones can do! My toddler makes homemade cards for special events like Father’s Day. It’s a great activity and who doesn’t love recieving a card made by your child. I usually let him dictate the message to me…it’s so cute. And we save every single one…I’m sure they’ll be fun to look back on someday.

Erica Boos
    Participant

One of my husbands favorite gifts was a home made t-shirt that said "Best Dad Hands Down" and had colorful handprints made by our children on the front and back. This is easy to do with some craft paint, fabric medium and sharpie markers.

Toya C
    Participant

These are really good ideas! Thanks, all.

This isn’t so much a gift idea as an activity, but I was on the Vineyard Vines website the other day and saw that they are having a "Design a Tie for Dad" contest. Basically you print out a form with a blank tie outline on it, kids can color/decorate it, then you submit it to the contest. Again, not really a gift idea but this might be a fun activity if you have some downtime over the weekend and need to be indoors escaping the summer heat.

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

For my husband’s first fathers day, I bought a scrapbook type photo album about 7 x 7 in size.  It was a window album. In the window was a picture of my husband and daughter.  The first page I wrote a little note to my husband from "my daughter" (she was very articulate at 6 months you know).  Now, each Father’s Day & his birthday, I take a sheet out and she makes him a picture.  I’ve done the same with my son. In the beginning, the pictures were things like hand prints and foot prints or cute collages.  Now as my daughter is a bit more she gets to use her imagination.  Actually I think the last time we did a page, she wrote out her full name for him.  I generally add in the year and holiday in some crafty way.  I have even sent in a blank page to school (when I’m super busy) and the teachers help my child create something.  It is turning out to be a GREAT keepsake.  And yes, I often include a small photo of my child to show her age progression.  Even though your kids are older, it may be a nice tradition to start.  And then – you always have a gift!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.