Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Finger Food Ideas

Home Forums Parenting Infant Finger Food Ideas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rita Murphy Rita Murphy 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My 9-month old son can’t get enough of finger foods, but I’m struggling with fresh idea. We’ve tried tofu, fruit, waffles, muffins and Cheerios. Any other suggestions out there?

http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2011/09/babys-first-finger-foods/

My son loved (and still does love) small cubes of cheese. It’s easy to slice into child-friendly sizes and is a great source of calcium, too. I started him off with very mild, soft cheeses. As he gets older, maybe we’ll expand his taste to the more fancy varieties! 

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

Banana, Avocado, blueberries, watermelon, gerber puffs, yobaby yogurt (add cherrios to the yogurt for a fun/messy experience), cheese, grilled cheese, overcooked veggies like broccoli and carrots, mango, hummus (hey, he may like to eat it with his fingers!)

You mentioned ditalini in your blog – have you tried it with sauce and parmesan to introduce some other flavors?

At this age, I also used low sodium minestrone soup.  I could pull out the veggies/potatoes and noodles and they were of the perfect softness.

I found that frozen peas, carrots, and corn (cooked, of course) are a fun finger food. They’re a colorful, fun challenge for fine motor skills, and nutritious as well. My son also likes grape tomatoes cut into halves or quarters, though those tend to be messier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.