Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Fireworks with Little Ones

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Fireworks with Little Ones

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Media Mom Media Mom 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Mary
    Participant

The celebration of the 4th of July has begun (a few days early).  Tonight people started setting off fireworks around the neighborhood which contributed to my 4 year old coming out of her bed "scared" several times.  Am I convinced she was scared or just looking for an excuse to keep coming out of her bed….  The jury is still out.  But it got me to thinking about taking her to see fireworks.  We haven’t seen fireworks in, well… 4 years.  It’s not that I’m sad to miss them each year, but come the 4th I kind of am sad for a short bit of time.  Is it worth paying for a sitter though, probably not.

The problem with fireworks is that they go off so late.  Around 9:30 here which is way past bedtime and they start at 9:30 so really going to bed by 10:30/11:00 is really late and could really hurt the next day.  What age is a good age to try to push my children to watch fireworks?  (Oh and I have a 2 year old too to add to the challenge).  Any tips for making this work?

Media Mom
    Media Mom
    Participant

I had the same challenge this year. I would have taken my 4-year-old and pushed the bed time, but there was no way our 5-month-old could hack it after a weekend of disrupted sleep and feedings.  We did end up letting our older one stay up to watch them on TV though. She slept in on Tuesday and was tired all day, but I’m sure she’ll be back to normal today. Also, it came on the heals of us hearing shotguns from hunters very close to our vacation home in the woods the night before. My girl isn’t afraid of much, but I had a tough time convincing her it was the tires blowing on someone’s car. If I take her to the fireworks, next time we hear the gun shots I can tell her it was fireworks instead. :smileyhappy:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.