Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

First Birthday Gift?

Home Forums Parenting Infant First Birthday Gift?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay Benjamin 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lindsay
    Lindsay
    Keymaster

My niece is turning 1 this month and I’m in search of a good birthday gift for her. My sister and brother-in-law are trying to keep the number of toys she gets to a minimum since they feel like she already has so many. I was thinking of getting a gift certificate to a mommy-and-me yoga class (my sister and niece have been and enjoyed it) but would love to hear other ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Amy
    Amy
    Participant

How about books? Unlike toys, I think children can never have enough books. And I love the ones that friends and family personalize in the inside cover with notes. It’s fun reading those over the years. I love the yoga idea. Another “experience” is a mommy & me music class. I did this with my daughter. Not only was it a fun way to introduce her to music & movement, I met a lot of moms that I’m still friendly with 8 years later! Or, you can plan a day out – children’s museum, park, indoor play space, etc. – with your niece and give mom & dad a break.

Lindsay Benjamin
    Participant

Thanks Nourish Mom. These are great! Books would definitely be a welcome gift, in fact, now that I think of it, I’d given her Corduroy (a childhood favorite of mine) with a note in it for Christmas so it’d be nice to give her a few more books that she can, as you said, keep reading as she gets older. I wouldn’t have thought of the music class, how awesome that you’re still friends with the women you met. And I’m sure her mom & dad wouldn’t turn down a few hours to themselves 🙂 Thanks!

In the past I have done the “experience” gift over toy/object gift, and they go over well, not matter the child’s age. I will say, currently I am on love with the giant wall-mounted ruler measuring boards you can get on Etsy. It is the 21st century version of marking your child’s height on a door jam, and best of all, if you move, it can go with you.

Laura Wong
    Participant

We just had my daughter’s first birthday and some of our favorite gifts were books. More specifically, we received recordable books from family members who live out of state. Now we can take a breather at bedtime when we’re too tired to read to our daughter, and even better, she has a chance to hear a story read by grandma even when she’s not in town!

Rachel Jordan
    Participant

I love the idea of an experience gift. I haven’t tried that one. But it’s fun for baby and parents, and you’re not running the risk of buying something they already have. Clothes are always great, since they outgrow everything so quickly. Practical everyday play clothes or jammies are nice. But a splurge that mom might not buy the baby on her own is also great. I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate those fancy dresses my SIL gifted my little girl when she was a baby, but I really do – and they are some of my favorite photo opps. The recorded books are great, and both my kids love them. We’ve even received the same story from a couple family members, and that’s just more fun for the kids!

Lindsay Benjamin
    Participant

Thanks Aili, Laura and Rachel!! I also love the idea of a ruler measuring board, the recordable books…and new pjs or a cute dress! These are all things that I don’t think my sis and my brother-in-law would think to buy, which makes them perfect gifts. Suffice it to say, I think I’m covered for ideas for the next few years.Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.