Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Going to ENT for tubes consult – any thoughts/suggestions?

Home Forums Parenting Toddler Going to ENT for tubes consult – any thoughts/suggestions?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Atoz Infotoall 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of

My DD (14 mo.) is going for a consult with ENT dr. regarding tubes. She’s had approx. 8 ear infections since Christmas. This last one was a doozy and after 3 weeks of antibiotics, the infection is gone but she still has significant fluid in both ears. Her ped. is most concerned about what will happen when the fall/winter cold season hits.

Has anyone been thru this? I would appreciate ANY feedback/thoughts. Even your thoughts on what I should ask the ENT dr. I’m going to do a bit more research this evening.. but thought I would throw the questions out there.

TIA!!

Profile photo of Cathy Trio
    Cathy Trio

My son went through almost 3 years of ear infections.  We were finally referred to an ENT, when he was 3,  who decided it was time for tubes.  For him it was the best thing.  The surgery was very simple, with almost no recovery.  (usually the case with little ones)   And he had very few ear infections, if any, afterwards.  It doesn’t always work this way, but it definitely is worth exploring.  Our concerns were centered around long term effects of multiple ear infections, such as hearing and speech difficulties.  Fortunately all is well.  Good luck.

My son got his tubes at 10 mo old, after having ear infections pretty much no stop from September to February.

Procedure is quick, recovery time is maybe two days in which the kid will be a bit off, but it was well worth it: no ear infection since (my son is now 27 mo old), no more antibiotics, and he recovered all his earing 🙂

We just had our one month follow-up from having the tubes bit in our 9 month old daughter who has had ear infections for 3 straight months.  We were going on a flight to Europe and the Dr. was afraid the pressure would cause a rupture, so they did it right away.

The procedure was completed before we could finish half a coffee and we were in and out of the hospital in less than 2 hours total. The results of the follow-up were clear and dry ears and perfect hearing. The real advantages are reducing the risk of hearing loss and the bigger one for me is if there are future infections you can administer ear drop antibiotics rather than systemic administration that messes up their gut.

I really don’t understand why they wait so long to recommend the tubes since it is such a relief and avoids over-exposure to antibiotics. Just be aware, it doesn’t guarantee no more ear infections, but makes them easier to treat, they may fall out, they may need a repeat procedure until they fully grow up, and there is always a risk with anesthesia, but I would say the sooner the better as our daugter is 10 times happier now.

Profile photo of

thanks so much kmeetze!!

she’s having tubes in on thurday. of course i’m a little nervous but i know she’ll be fine.

she has not had an infection in over a month but had a good amount of fluid still in the ears. her dr. said considering it’s July (well now Aug ;)) and there is still fluid – we’ll most likely be in for a rough fall/winter and it could be effecting her hearing/speech at this point. so i feel good that we’re making the right choice.

totally agree – will be so happy to avoid over exposure to the antibiotics! keeping fingers crossed 😉

thanks again for your post – def. making me feel better!

My daughter also had tubes put in at 14 months after repeated ear infections. The tubes have been great! No more ear infections since and she started walking in just a week afterwards. I think the constant fluid in her ears had her equilibrium off! There was about 2 days of recovery where she was a little of but she’s been out of the doctor’s office since.

My daughter had tubes put in at 21 months after 4 months of recurring ear infections.  Not had a single issue since then.  It was terrifying to think about sending her to surgery, but the procedure literally took 7 minutes and she was done.  The rest of that day she slept and was clingy, but woke up the next morning and was fine.  Be aware that your daughter’s sense of hearing will be extremely amplified for about a week.  Even the slightest noises caused my daughter to jump out of her skin for the first several days.  It’s amazing what letting all that water drain out can do for their hearing!

Profile photo of itubeapp
    itubeapp
    Participant

My son got his tubes at 10 mo old, after having ear infections pretty much no stop from September to February.

Procedure is quick, recovery time is maybe two days in which the kid will be a bit off, but it was well worth it: no ear infection since (my son is now 27 mo old), no more antibiotics, and he recovered all his earing itube

Profile photo of maxwellg
    maxwellg
    Participant

My baby got his tubes at 10 mo old, after having ear infections pretty much no stop from September to april.Procedure is quick, recovery time is maybe two days in which the kid will be a bit off, but it was well worth it: no ear infection since (my son is now 27 mo old), no more antibiotics, and he recovered all his earing itube

Atoz Infotoall
    Participant

thanks for your valuable information game killer apk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.