Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Good books for Kindergarteners

Home Forums Parenting Kindergarten & School Age Good books for Kindergarteners

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Timmy MacDonald 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Toya C
    Participant

Hi all! I’m trying to keep my kindergartner reading over the summer! We try to visit the library over the summer fairly frequently, so I’m always adding to my "books to look out for" list. Do you have suggestions for good books for 5 year olds? I’m looking for books to help work on his reading skills, as well as books we can read together for fun.

I could make a huge list but will stick to my absolute must list: The Water Hole (can’t remember the author off hand); anything by Graham Base (that may be spelled wrong) or Jez Alborough; How I became a Pirate and Pirates Don’t Change Diapers (I think David Shannon did the illustrations); Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon and I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More…I have shelves full of children’s books I would love to list, but these are my perennial favorites to read with children about that age.

I have a son who just finished Kindergarten and a daughter who starts K this fall. Here are some of our favorites right now.

To practice reading independently:

The Elephant and Piggy series by Mo Willems

Fly Guy series by Ted Arnold

Go Dog Go, Big Dog… Little Dog and other P.D. Eastman titles

To read together:

Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton (the most popular library book amongst the Kindergarteners at my son’s school this year– we ended up buying our own copy the kids loved it so much)

Berenstain Bears series

I love our town Library and they publish a list of recommended books for different age groups.  Here is the link:

http://www.robbinslibrary.org/kids/book-nook

Hope that helps and happy reading.  My son just finished Kindergarten and he just loves to read.  Another thought that might help is depending upon what subjects your kinds are interested in, you can find age appropriate books on the subject,   A few months ago, my son became interested in Egyptian Mummies and tombs and we read some books about them that he enjoyed.  We also took him to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to see the Egyptian exhibit.  I know his interests will change but it is fun for me to delve into some of these subjects with him while he is curious.

Toya C
    Participant

All great suggestions! Keep them coming. My family and I have several library trips to make this summer! :smileyhappy:

Timmy MacDonald
    Participant

These are great! I have a kindergartener who we’re always looking for new books for. Will have to try some of these suggestions.

Timmy MacDonald
    Participant

Dr. Seuss books are popular in our house.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.