Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Helping Dad adjust when Mom goes back to work

Home Forums Parenting Infant Helping Dad adjust when Mom goes back to work

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Karrie Triola Karrie Triola 5 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

I still have awhile until I return to work, but when it is time for my maternity leave to end, I’m actually wondering if there are ways to support my husband with the transition. We have a kindergartener and an infant… So while on maternity leave, I’ve been managing the brunt of the kids’ schedules and always have before when we just had one child. When I return to work, because of logistics I’ll be relying a lot more on my husband, particularly when it comes to doing drop off or pick up for the baby. I’m worried about how this transition will go. Anyone have advice for making this go smoothly when we have to split the responsibility more?

I don’t know that there is a great way to avoid some of the stress that comes with adjusting back to work during those first few weeks after maternity. What did work for my family was making sure we relaxed on the weekends. We made sure to schedule NO commitments during the weekends of those first few weeks back at work. It gave my husband and I time to chill out. And, it also provided us a chance to catch our breath and talk about what did/did not work for us during our new weekly schedule.

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

I like your idea of blocking off time for low key weekends! Definitely sounds necessary for so many reasons. Sanity being one of them. 🙂

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

I like your idea of blocking off time for low key weekends! Definitely sounds necessary for so many reasons. Sanity being one of them. 🙂

I am thinking about purchasing one of those wall calendars that you can write on. My parents always kept one when we were kids and it helped everyone to know what was going on and when. My husband sometimes forgets which days we agreed to do drop off and pick up, so I think that having it on a calendar right in our kitchen will help. We can also write down future plans like late meetings, trainings/classes, or days when we need each other to cover. I think we will also incorporate this idea of blocking off certain weekends just for family time!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.