Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

How did you night wean?

Home Forums Parenting Toddler How did you night wean?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Amy Amy 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi all,

My daughter is 10 months and she wakes up about once a night to feed, sometimes two.  She gets colds alot from daycare and is stuffed up alot which is what I think she actually waking her up.  Her nose gets clogged and she starts to cry so we just feed her to calm her down.

I was curious as to how you ladies (or gentlemen!) got your kids off of nights feeds?

Thanks!
    Lindsay

Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Hi Lindsay,

I’m pretty sure we got this recommendation from the Happiest Baby on the Block book but don’t recall. When she would wake up in the middle of the night, we would go in and soothe her in her crib without taking her out – rubbing her back and cooing her. Then we would leave the room. That way she wasn’t getting reinforced with her crying by getting a bottle/breast but you are still acknowledging that you are there for her. You might lose some sleep for the first few days while she learns that her cries are not eliciting the response she was hoping for.

As with anything, each child is different so you should always follow your gut if this method does not seem to be working. Also, we always made sure that she ate solid food that night and had a good feeding before bed.

Profile photo of

First, are you running a humidifier at night?  That really does help with the colds, my son is in daycare and he gets a lot of the runny nose and congestion too.  I run the humidifier every night in his room.  The doctor suggested it to increase the moisture in the room.  Second at 10 months, baby shouldn’t need to eat during the night.  Wait a bit before you go into the room, I did that with my son and he eventually went back to sleep. I also put rice cereal in his bottle right before bedtime, although not recommended these days, my mom suggested that, she did it with us, and it worked for my son too.  It helped keep him full till morning.  Good Luck, my son is a year and has been sleeping through the night since he was 4 months.

Any pediatrician will tell you that when they get up in the middle of the night they are not hungry, they just want attention.  They will also tell you that all you do  is go in, if you go in al all, and lightly rub their back until they go back to sleep and that you don’t even turn on the light or talk to them.  That is what our pediatrician told us with my daughter.  I was concerned because my son was sleeping through the night at 4 months old and my daughter at 7 months was not so I asked and that is what they told us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.