Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

How do working parents exercise?

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting How do working parents exercise?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Timmy MacDonald 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I am struggling to find ways to fit exercise into my busy daily routine. Between work, commuting, caring for my son and dealing with the other daily duties of running a home, I don’t know how to fit exercise in! Help…how do you make working out work with your lifestyle?

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

It is so hard when you have a little one around who needs constant attention. I feel like as kids get older, it might be easier to do fitness things as a family. But, when they’re young, having dance parties is a way to burn some calories together!

Aside from that, is there a way you and your spouse can trade off with taking care of the kids/exercising? Maybe an hour here or there througout the week or on the weekends?

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

It is so hard when you have a little one around who needs constant attention. I feel like as kids get older, it might be easier to do fitness things as a family. But, when they’re young, having dance parties is a way to burn some calories together!

Aside from that, is there a way you and your spouse can trade off with taking care of the kids/exercising? Maybe an hour here or there througout the week or on the weekends?

Caty Trio
    Participant

Hi KarrieT! There was a recent e-family news article about this very topic. It’s certainly something that a lot of working parents struggle with. This article includes some tips and strategies you might find helpful…

Exercise & The Working Parent – Yes You Can!

http://www.brighthorizons.com/efamily-news/articles/february-13-2013-exercise-and-the-working-parent

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

Sometimes there really isn’t much time for actual exercise. When this is the case, incorporate it into your normal everyday life…take the stairs whenever possible, park super far away from a store and get in the extra walking, take the long route wherever you’re walking to. It might not seem like a lot, but these things can add up over the course of a day.

Here’s a fun article I found recently: http://homemadebyjaci.com/8-ways-to-make-exercising-with-kids-easy/

I like the idea of having my son do a workout video alonside me!

Profile photo of yoly Rubio
    yoly Rubio

It is a struggle !!! i like most moms work full time. I have a 3 1/2 year old and 10 month old. So you can only imagine the crazyness. 3 days a week i wake up at 4:30 Am and go to the gym while my hubby and kids are sleeping. It was hard at first but i soon relized it was my only ‘Alone" time. Now i look forward to it.  then i rotate 1 night a week with my hubby where I can go right after work  to work out and he gets kids or i go right after dinner and hubby take care of baths and bed time. On the weekends i try to make it more family friendly we go hiking or run at the park or anything to stay active. It helps having another mommy to hold you accountable. I started a " run mommy run group" on my block. Basically 3-4 mommies that lived close by me would come to my house early moring 5 am and we would run 4 miles. Hope that helps !!!!

Yollybella, that is so impressive! 🙂

I think setting a routine and sticking to it when it comes to exercise is imporant. I also totally get what you mean about cherishing your alone time, even if you’re working up a sweat while doing it. You’re inspiring me!

Timmy MacDonald
    Participant

We go for a lot of family walks. Almost daily in the nice weather, if possible. It’s a way to get everyone involved in exercising. My older son rides his bike, we push the little one in the carriage, and we all get some fitness in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.