Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Left-handed children

Home Forums Early Education Left-handed children

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Erica Boos 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Colleen
    Colleen

My preschool daughter has been struggling a bit with writing and having control over writing instruments (crayons, markers, pens, etc). We discovered that this is most likely because she is actually left-handed! I was thrilled to discover this, and a little disappointed in myself that I hadn’t realized this sooner!

Now that we’re transitioning to learning skills with her left hand, I’m wondering if there are any good resources for finding tips for working with left-handed children. Sometimes it’s hard for me to model things like holding a pen, cutting, etc. correctly for her because I’m right-handed. I’d love to hear from anyone with left-handed experience on how to support this type of learning! And are there other challenges in the future I should be prepared for?

Profile photo of Mumtaz
    Mumtaz

I know the feeling. I am left-handed myself and grew up in a very ‘right’ handed society.

There are several resources out there for left-handed children like scissors, pencil grips, and even books that you can find on Amazon. There are other online resources that help with writing such as lefthandedchildren.org. My suggestion would be to be supportive and allow your child to learn in his/her own way. There are some things I do differently like keeping my paper at an angle while I write. Just be mindful of these different styles.

It’s great to be left-handed and I don’t remember any particular difficulties in learning to write or do other fine motor activities.

Profile photo of Colleen
    Colleen

Those are really helpful resources! Thanks so much.

Erica Boos
    Participant

I too am a lefty who grew up very frustrated by the right handed world.

One suggestion when you work with your child is to sit facing her. You will be using your right hand and her her left but when you are facing each other it is like looking into a mirror. My grandmother taught me to crochet this way. She didn’t have to try to figure out how to use her left and I could just mirror what she was doing.

Also, get a good pair of lefty scissors. It really does make a difference.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.