Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Limiting Halloween candy overload

Home Forums Family Health & Wellness Limiting Halloween candy overload

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mary Mary 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

When it comes to Halloween, I let my kids indulge in more candy than usual on the holiday itself. It’s afterwards that the power struggle for how much they are allowed to eat begins! Does anyone have good strategies for limiting candy intake in the days after Halloween? How do you let kids celebrate and enjoy "being kids" when it comes to the holiday (i.e. I can’t imagine throwing away all their candy!) but still return to a normal/healthier lifestyle in the days that follow. How much per day – or maybe week – do you allow in your household?

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

At my kids age, 1/2 the candy ends up in the trash because they can’t eat much of it but this year I think there will be less that needs to get pitched.

What my sister does is has her kids divide it in 1/2.  1/2 the candy goes to the troops (in her town they collect excess candy and ship it off) or I’ve heard of others doing this but giving 1/2 to the local police or fire stations.  I’ve also heard of parents paying their children a nickle for each piece of candy they give them (or quarter or whatever).  This is an equally good way to shrink the pile.

In my house, we already have a every other night for dessert night rule so I try to get right back into this habit a few days after halloween.  Eventually my kids forget about the candy.  It would shock you to know that they still are making their way through last year’s halloween candy – but they don’t realize that’s where the candy came from.  I have a plastic tub that I put the halloween candy in as well as any candy from birthday party favors.  On dessert nights they can choose one piece of candy.  After a week or two they are onto the next dessert items – popsicles, popcorn, cookies, etc…  Right now they rediscovered the candy bucket so they are back to working their way through the last remaining pieces!

I like the idea of donating half of the candy – we’ll have to try that in my house! But, maybe next year…I don’t think I can part with these Kit Kats just yet.

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

We allow one piece of candy a night for the first two weeks after Halloween…after that, it goes away.

Part of this is to maintain healthy habits. The other part is to keep me from snacking on it all the time while it’s just sitting around!

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

We allow one piece of candy a night for the first two weeks after Halloween…after that, it goes away.

Part of this is to maintain healthy habits. The other part is to keep me from snacking on it all the time while it’s just sitting around!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.