Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

My infant is teething – advice?

Home Forums Parenting Infant My infant is teething – advice?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of   6 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

In my house, it appears we’ve hit the fun stage of teething! My son has gotten very fussy, and his gums are a bit swollen and irritated. I feel so bad for the little guy! Do you all have any good tips for soothing his discomfort? Are there particular foods that would be helpful?

Profile photo of

My DD’s favorite was a cold, wet facecloth. She chewed and chewed on it and it kept her VERY occupied!

She did like the Sophie giraffe but the facecloth was def. a fav.

I was hesitant at first but on days she was REALLY fussy, I gave her motrin. not sure if your baby is old enough but it def. took the edge off and was especially helpful at night. I used it very sparingly but it was a life saver. I could really tell when the motrin would kick in – she was MUCH happier. 🙂

Hope it passes quickly! Best of luck

Make sure your floors are clear of possible "chew toys"! My son discovered a bit of duct tape (that I didn’t even know was there) and decided it would taste dandy. Needless to say, a scary moment ensued. After that incident we decided to dedicate a few minutes to "piranha proof" our home!

Profile photo of Allison
    Allison
    Participant

This toy is great for babies teething:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Massaging-Action-Teether/dp/B000V8AL3C?

It vibrates when the child puts pressure on it and really relieves any gum pain, at least it did for my daughter!  I also bought some teething tablets and gave her 1-2 when she seemed fussy.

Beside that, the good old chomping on a wet washcloth did the trick!  Wet a washcloth, put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes….works wonders!

I highly recommend frozen blueberries. 🙂 I also recommend infants’ ibuprofen, Hyland’s teething tablets and putting ice in one of those mesh feeding bags.

In April, FDA issued a warning about possible serious side effects fromsome really commonlike Orajel and Anbesol options  – http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm250029.htm?.

I second the frozen washcloth idea. We also let her chew on an infant toothbrush which seemed to help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.