Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

My parents spoil my daughter way too much!

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting My parents spoil my daughter way too much!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nala Nala 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Allison
    Allison
    Participant

My parents, especially my father, spoils my daughter way too much!  When she’s at their house she can eat mostly whatever she wants, watch TV, play on the iPad, make a mess and not clean it up, etc.  No matter how many times I tell my parents to monitor her screen-time, make her clean up toys, no snacks before dinner, etc., they don’t listen. 

I feel like I’m in a weird position because I depend on them a lot to watch her, so I don’t want them to think its unappreciated, but I do want them to understand I’m her mother and want my child to act a certain way. Any advice on how to approach them? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing? 

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

That is a hard one, I hear you. If repeatedly telling your parents to change their "rules" isn’t working, maybe it might help to come at it from a different angle. Give them specific examples of how your daughter may be acting out at home (or maybe at school, if that’s happening). Ask them to work with you as partners in her care, explaining that consistent expectations need to be set from her no matter where she is – home, school or her grandparents’ house. Maybe by giving specific examples of what is happening with her behavior-wise, the urgency of the situation might click more with your parents. Best of luck!

Profile photo of Nala
    Nala

That is a hard one, I hear you. If repeatedly telling your parents to change their "rules" isn’t working, maybe it might help to come at it from a different angle. Give them specific examples of how your daughter may be acting out at home (or maybe at school, if that’s happening). Ask them to work with you as partners in her care, explaining that consistent expectations need to be set from her no matter where she is – home, school or her grandparents’ house. Maybe by giving specific examples of what is happening with her behavior-wise, the urgency of the situation might click more with your parents. Best of luck!

I joined this community to tackle this exact topic! My parents, esp my dad lives by his own rules and spoils our kids. When he picks them up from daycare (BH) I know he has a little treat in his pocket. Let’s them eat what they want and it feels like our routine goes by the wayside when they stay over every over week. I’ve tried discussing our rules with them and hen it became an overblown , yelling-fest and even though they said they would try to change, it really hasn’t.not sure what I can do short of telling them not to come so often…I’m so close to that point but how do I tell them ‘nicely’?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.