Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Outdoor activities with a toddler

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Outdoor activities with a toddler

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rita Murphy Rita Murphy 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a very active toddler who enjoys being outside. This is great, as I am from a very outdoorsy family – we love outdoor activities, especially in the summer time. However, where my son is still so young, I’m wondering what kinds of activities there are that will be fun for him and also my wife and I. He’s too young to get into most sports, and you can only go on so many nature walks. What kinds of outdoor activities do young kids enjoy doing? Are there fun day trips to consider taking that’s are not too expensive?

Water play has always been popular with my little one, as well as with my neices and nephews, in the summer. We don’t have a pool, but a sprinkler can go a long way on a hot day! It’s nice for mom and dad to be able to cool off, too.

I second the sprinkler idea. Either that or one of those small (and inexpensive) kiddie pools. Other than that, pretty much anything that can be done in your backyard – tag, hide-and-seek, pass the ball, lawn games, or something you (or your child) make up on the spot! The backyard is safe, convenient, and avoids the struggles of long car rides on a hot summer day. Not to mention there will always be snacks, drinks, and a change of clothes nearby!

If you want to incorporate socializing, invite neighborhood kids or nieces/nephews to come over and join in. You could also try a local pool or beach but might want to wait on that until your child is older.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.