Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Pool Safety for a Preschooler – Swimmies? Life Jacket?

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Pool Safety for a Preschooler – Swimmies? Life Jacket?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Allison Allison 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dasia
    Dasia

We’re visiting my cousin’s pool this summer and I’m wondering what people use for pool safety devices. My preschooler is comfortable in the water, but he can’t really swim yet. Do you use arm floaties/swimmies? A full life jacket? I get so nervous with little ones at the pool…

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

Hi Dasia,

Not sure if this helps, but Nourish Mom just posted ‘Water Safety Tips for Children’ on the Bright Horizons blog: http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2013/07/11/water-safety-tips-for-children/

Personally, my daughter used an adjustable back floatie. It helped her learn how to swim too becuase you can take off layers as the child swims better. I still made sure an adult was watching her 100% of the time she was around water.

Ruth
    Ruth
    Participant

Make a water watcher tag by putting something on a neck lanyard. The adult who is responsible for watching the children in the water wears the water watcher tag. When they are done they give the tag to another adult. They have to communicate when they give the new person the tag. This will ensure that someone is always watching. Tell the kids about the system too, they will keep you on track.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.