Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Potty training a boy

Home Forums Parenting Potty training a boy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Meg Redinger Meg Redinger 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

My son is 2 years old and doesn’t want to sit in the potty seat or the toilet, he starts to cry when try to sit him down.  Although he will sit for a little while (5min max) then he starts to cry and get up.  The candy thing won’t work since he doesn’t know what candy is.  He doesn’t like sticker… tried them also.  I would love some ideas, or your help.  Thx!!

Profile photo of Alicia
    Alicia

Have you tried doing some on-the-potty activities that might calm him down? Sometimes reading a book or even coloring while on the potty will help get a child used to it. At first, it’s more about being ok with the potty and comfortable with sitting on it vs. actually having success with using it.

My grandson is two years old and he has been going on the potty at school for a few months now. However at home he is not interested and when you ask him he says "No" He has just started telling his mom after he pees in his diaper and last night he ran up to his dad as he came home from work and said "I went Peepee on the potty today" without even bing asked.  I think he is showing us that he is ready and soon he will be using the potty at home too!! My two girls who are grown now trainned well but were not potty trained completely until they wer close to 3!  I did not rush them for I do not believe in rushing children for anything! When they are ready they are ready!!!

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

When a child is refusing to sit on the potty, especially a very young child, sometimes it’s best to take a few weeks off and then start over. He might just need a break. And sometimes, a break can help end that pattern of him refusing the potty. He’ll forget how much he doesn’t like it and you can get a fresh start.

Profile photo of

I agree with the previous poster who suggested taking a little time off. It doesn’t have to be long…just 2 or 3 weeks. That might be long enough for your son to forget that he hates sitting on the potty! Then you can start over. When you do, be sure to make going to the potty seem very exciting. You might have better luck if you give him this short break.

Kate Teece
    Participant

As the mom of a 1.5 year old boy, I am getting excited about this topic. 🙂 I don’t yet have any experience potty training, but I’ve been watching other parents going through this. Recently I read an interesting e-Book that is available at http://www.3daypottytraining.com/. This isn’t necessarily an endorsement for this particular "boot camp" style approach, but I’ve heard good things about it!

It sounds like your son might not be ready yet. I’d keep trying and talk about the potty, but not make him sit on it until he’s ready. You’ll know he’s ready when he starts asking to sit on or use the potty. Just stick it out a while longer …and good luck!

Profile photo of Meg Redinger
    Meg Redinger

I think before you start training, it’s good to have the potty out for a while in an area where he sees it often. I think this helps get kids comfortable. I have 2 pottys, one upstairs and one downstairs and they aren’t in the bathrooms; they’re in the rooms where my son plays most often. One has a cover and for a while before he started using the potty, he sat on it to put his shoes on. I think sitting on the potty like this has helped a lot in taking the "scary" factor away.

I never pressured my son to sit on the potty. One long 3-day weekend when I knew we’d be around, I just asked him if he wanted to try the potty. I took off his diaper and let him play naked (without bottoms) that day. Each time he knew he had to pee, he went straight to the potty, which was in the room where he was playing. He pretty much trained overnight.

Instead of pull-ups, we use cotton training pants, which I would swear by.

My son is now 3 yrs. old and is fully trained, even at night. He’s had a lot of success.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.