Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Pre-reader literacy activities for 3 year old

Home Forums Early Education Pre-reader literacy activities for 3 year old

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Toya C 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dasia
    Dasia

My three year old is very interested in books and reading. Does anyone have suggestions for good pre-reading activities to help encourage this interest in literacy? We read together every night, but I want to foster this interest even more. I’d love to hear what others are doing.

Toya C
    Participant

Magnetic letters for the refrigerator make for easy, but fun pre-reader activities. And, you can play along with your child while you’re doing other things like prepping dinner!

There are many ways to encourage the love of reading in children. In my pre-k class, we have magnetic letters and word cards that the children can practice spelling words. Also, I recently collected many small rocks and wrote letters on each one. The children use these to spell words. You can find some favorite books and encourage your child to tell you the story instead. Having his/her own bookshelf with favorite books will encourage your child to respect and appreciate books. Another idea might be having your child help write/read the shopping list. I have had some parents in the past have their child follow their own shopping list at the store with words and pictures. This helps the child also learn how reading is important in everyday life.

Profile photo of Dasia
    Dasia

Thanks, Amanda P! Those are great ideas. I like the rock spelling idea…sounds easy and very fun. I appreciate your advice!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.