Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Preparing for a move

Home Forums Parenting Toddler Preparing for a move

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Caty Trio 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

In February my family will be moving to Charlotte from Jacksonville, NC and I’m just wondering if there are any preperations I should make in order to make it easy on my 2 year old daughter. I don’t think she is really going to notice enough that it will be a problem. I am a little worried because she is really attached to her classmates at her daycare.

If anyone has gone through this I would really appreciate any input at all.

Thanks

Caty Trio
    Participant

Hi breannamary! There is a really great e-family news article about moving with little ones. It might give you some good tips as you begin the process. Best of luck with your family’s transition!

Moving & Relocating: Helping you and your child cope

http://www.brighthorizons.com/efamily-news/articles/may-05-2010-moving-and-relocating-helping-you-and-your-child-cope

At 2, she is very young and probably will adjust much better than you’d expect. If she is really attached to her current friends at daycare, you could start talking about all the new friends she’ll make at her new school. Start that conversation now to get her excited about it. Then once you move, be sure to set up some play dates with kids in the class early on to help your daughter build some new friendships. It’ll be great way for you to meet other parents, too.

If you can plan to have visit time at her new child care, it may help ease the transition. When we moved to a new home and child care center, I took a few days off so my child could go to the center for shorter days, eventually moving to a longer day right before I had to go back to work.

My old center also made a photo album of my son’s classmates which he looked at periodically when he was missing them.

Talking about the move, her new room etc. will probably help, as well as reading stories/books about moving.

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.