Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Pretend Play and Aggression

Home Forums Parenting Preschool Pretend Play and Aggression

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Timmy MacDonald 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kate Teece

I’m having a hard time with this one. My 3.5 year old son is quite energetic and loves games that involve “shooting the bad guy”. I understand that some degree of aggression would be considered normal, more so for boys than girls, and I want to teach him how to channel that energy constructively. Fortunately he seems to understand that it is not okay to act violently towards people. But how do I engage in pretend play without encouraging violence?

Timmy MacDonald

It might help to sit down and engage in that pretend play with him. When you see things taking a violent turn, redirect him and give him other options for how the ‘storyline’ can go that do not involve shooting, etc. Some regular ‘coaching’ like that may help him play more positively when he’s on his own.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.