Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Protocol on Christmas gifts for Bright Horizons teachers/care givers?

Home Forums Parenting Infant Protocol on Christmas gifts for Bright Horizons teachers/care givers?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mary Schofield Mary Schofield 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m curious to know if any of you give Christmas gifts to your child’s teacher or care giver at Bright Horizons? My son just started I was wondering if gift giving to staff this time of year is A) approved by Bright Horizons; B) typical for most parents. If it is, what type of gifts or gift amounts are generally acceptable? Do you give to your specific care givers AND the administrators/managers or just the care givers?

Thanks in advance!

I just wrote a blog about organizing for Teacher holiday gifts and touched on this a bit here: http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2013/12/13/tips-for-organzing-teacher-holiday-gift-giving/ I think it varies from center to center but at the center my son goes to, the parent committee organizes a pool for monetary gift contributions. Parents donate as much or as little as they are comfortable with and it goes to one parent on the committee. The actual dollar amounts are never shared with anyone at the center. The parent then divides it up equally to all teachers (based on part-time or full-time status). It is given to the teachers with a note of which families choose to donate (along with whatever they’ve asked be said in the note). It also mention that not all parents contribute because some parents choose to give an individual gift instead. Historically the Director/AD hasn’t received any of the cash gift, but some parents do something for these individuals. I know that some parents opt to give small gifts or gift cards to the teachers instead or have the child make something and/or give the gift of homemade cookies! It’s always the thought the counts. I really don’t believe the teachers expect anything but appreciate even the smallest gesture. My suggestion is to do whatever you are most comfortable with. A nice holiday note is always appreciated and if you are so inclined, tuck in a gift card for a small amount or pick out something you think they may enjoy. You may want to ask some parents at your center what has been done in the past as I’ve also heard lots of different things happening. In my experience, public school has been the same way – some gift pools and some individual gifts and some just choose to do other things throughout the year.

Thank you for the posts on this topic, I’m always curious to know what others do.

I always do either a cash gift or a gift card to my child’s primary caregivers. We don’t have a money pool at my center, but that’s an interesting idea.

I had the same question and in the end I gave each teacher a card and a small box of godiva chocolate. I didn’t know what to give. This is my first child, but I feel I could not give anything, even if very small. I really just wanted to say thank you and I wrote a special note to each of them.  

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.