Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Sibling rivalry and lots of bickering

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting Sibling rivalry and lots of bickering

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ruth Ruth 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JT
    JT

My kids have been fighting a LOT lately. My daughter is 4 and my son is 5. Aside from yelling or putting them in timeouts, which I feel like I do way too much, what can I do? I’m ready to lose my mind some days.

Ruth
    Ruth
    Participant

I have twin boys and when they were the age of your kids there was plenty of bickering. Here’s what worked for me. I had them sit on the stairway and I told them that they were great guys with lots of skills. I’d say something like I know you both have the skills to work this problem out. Then I’d say I’d like you to sit here together until you work this out. I’m sure you can do it. AND…then I walked away. It never took them very long. Give it a try if you like and see what happens. Let us know. I’m sure there are other solutions too but this really did work for me.

Profile photo of Jessica
    Jessica

Great way of allowin them to use their skills.

Profile photo of Jessica
    Jessica

Hi JT,

Do they have ground rules and regulations in the home? Do they know what you expect of them behavior wise? I would start there. Also, it is very beneficial to be close as they are doing this and in a calm manner and tone, let them express how they feel to each other, and express how it makes the other person feel. This can be used each and every time.

Aside from that, it could be beneficial to jot notes as to when you see them more frustrated with each other as it might help you become adjusted in the home.

Also create some activities they have to complete together and encourage teamwork. I.E. A giant puzzle.

Profile photo of JT
    JT

These are great tips. Thank you! Things have been getting a little better. I like to try to let them reason things out amongst themselves (within reason, of course!). I’m hoping as they get older this will continue to be a good method…and one that goes a bit smoother than it does these days!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.