Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Speech Issues or Normal?

Home Forums Parenting Preschool Speech Issues or Normal?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kris-Ann Race Kris-Ann Race 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Amy
    Amy
    Participant

I’m concerned because my 4 year old is still struggling to pronounce her hard k/c and g sounds. We do lots of reading together and even practice words that begin with those sounds. I can see that it is how she is holding her tongue (close to her teeth rather than pulled back) but not really sure what to do. Her pediatrician said we shouldn’t worry about it for another 4-6 months because she is an October birthday and will have an almost extra year in preschool. She said that the recommendation is to have these speech issues resolved by the beginning of Kindergarten. I wonder, however, if there is something else I should be doing. Or even if I should be starting to research speech therapists. Anyone been through this?

My preschooler has some delays and has been in speech therapy since age 2. Therapists have always told us that modeling the correct pronunciation is the best thing to do. If you try and make her repeat something the correct way, but she can only do it the incorrect way, you’re actually reinforcing that through repetition (ex. you ask her to say "cat" over and over, and she keeps saying "sat" over). Speech therapist have all sorts of tricks and exercises to correct mouth formations so even if she does need speech once she goes to Kindergarten, it’ll probably be corrected in no time!

Amy
    Amy
    Participant

This is great advice. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.