Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Staying in touch with long-distance grandchildren

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting Staying in touch with long-distance grandchildren

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Allison Allison 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of

My son, daughter-in-law and their 8 month old daughter are about to move across the country. I’m so sad! But, I know the move is a good decision for their family. As a grandmother, I’m worried about losing contact with my granddaughter while she is so young – too young to remember me if I’m not around! I’m wondering if there are good ways we can continue to bond even though it will not be in person. Would love advice from others who have had to learn to cope with family members being far away.

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

Hi Nonna, 

Do you have Facebook? It’s a great way to be able to stay up-to-date on things happening with your son & his family. Also, try scheduling weekly skype dates! That way you’ll be able to see and talk to everyone on a reoccuring basis.  If you have a specific time set each week that is convenient for everyone not too much time will pass in between catching up with your family and granddaughter.  We skype out of town relatives every Sunday evening around 6pm and it works great for us all – we know to expect to talk to them and my 4 year old daughter brainstorms about all the fun stuff she did over the past week! Although your granddaughter is still young – you’ll be able to experience her growing up!

Erica Boos
    Participant

My family moved away when my son was only 6 weeks old. I agree with the suggestions of Facebook and Skyoe but my mother doesnt have a computer. Please find comfort in the fact that your grandchild will know who loves her. Here are some ways over the years we have kept the long distance family in touch with the children-

• Photo Books- create a small, okay to chew on photo album of photos with you and your grandchild. If you are talking on the phone with her, ask your son to show her the photos.
    • Recording- there are so many prodcuts out there now to record your voice- picture frames, ornaments and books. Make a recording for your grandchild and send it to her. Ask your son to send it back each season so you can record a new message.
    • As your grandchild gets older, this will get easier.

Cheryl McNamara
    Participant

Three ideas that are easy. 

The first is to have the parents put the highchair near a speaker phone/handset. You can sing and talk to the baby while he is in the highchair and in time you will be singing together.  With the baby in a high chair, he is a captive audiance and Mom and Dad can multitask close by. When he gets older he can play with playdoh while in the highchair while you talk.

The second is to use a speaker phone/handset in the bathroom. I bought an inflatable baby tub that fit inside the regular bathtub. We would call his grandmother on our speaker phone/handset and talk to her while he was playing in the tub.  Now that my son is older, we get his grandmother on the speaker phone when we cook or bake together. He loves measuring the ingredients and giving her the play by play of what he is doing.

The 3rd is have the parents take random pictures on their smart phone and send it to your phone or email. Then the next time you talk to the baby (when he is older) you can ask questions about what you saw him doing in the pictures.

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

Once your grandchild gets a little bit older, it can be fun to have a "pen pal" relationship in between skype/phone calls or however else you tend to communicate. My kids loved getting letters in the mail from their relative who lives a few states away.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.