Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Summer Activities with a 9-mo old?

Home Forums Parenting Infant Summer Activities with a 9-mo old?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rita Murphy Rita Murphy 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MomtoMom
    MomtoMom

I’m a little nervous about summer this year given what potential issues and dangers it brings for my 9 month old baby. I wrote a post on the Mom to Mom blog about my anxiety. Do any experienced parents have reccomendations for having a fun and safe summer with an active 9 month old?

That was me last summer! It’ll be ok, promise! Little ones at this age do require a LOT of supervision, especially outside near pools, etc. but it is manageable. Make sure you give yourself breaks, though, so you don’t spend your whole summer on edge. Give yourself some timeouts where dad, or a friend, or grandma is in charge of keeping an eye on the baby so that you can relax in the sun, too!

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

Lots of sunscreen!! Apply often. Those little ones have sensitive skin. Other than that, have fun! It’s important to be cautious, but don’t be afraid to be out and about with your little guy. He’ll learn to love summer as much as you before you know it.

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

The good thing about this age is the simple things will excite your child! At 9-12 months, you can turn on a sprinkler, take walks, make a water table outside, etc.  Just be very cautious around water & with applying enough sunscreen. Is your child attending a daycare or camp? Talking to the teachers about things that he enjoys doing throughout the day or certain toys to play with, and continuing them at home and on the weekends is a good way to integrate the classroom & home.

Good luck when your baby is older (3-4)!! Finding activities to constantly occupy my preschooler seems like an impossible task.  One minute she likes water, the next she wants to color.  It reminds me of Media Mom’s recent post: http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2012/05/21/mother-daughter-clash-of-the-titans-explained/

Don’t overthink and as long as you follow summer safety tips, I know your child will have an amazing first summer!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.