Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Talking Politics With Kids

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Talking Politics With Kids

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sarah Montague Sarah Montague 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I have been a political junkie since a very young age, and nothing would make me happier than to see my child (and nieces & nephews) carry on that passion. That being said, I don’t want to be one of those parents who indoctrinates my child – learning to think for oneself and form one’s own opinions/ideology is so important!

Any suggestions on how to introduce the topic in a neutral manner while still making things interesting to a child? With a presidential election coming up in 2012, I thought it would be an appropriate time to consider this important issue.

In the last presidential election, we talked to our son (he was three at the time) about how we vote for our government officials.  We also might have conversations about things going on in our town and why we care about issues that involve the school budget.  I think a lot of it just stems from conversations at the dinner table or conversations that might come up if he asks us about a political sign he sees.  I know as he gets older, his school will host mock elections and other programs that will help him get more actively involved.

I talk to my 3.5 year old about who the President is and what his job is (in simplified terms) and we also talk about political commercials when they come on, again simplifying them to things like; "that man is Joe Schmoe and he wants to be the mayor, which is like the president, but only for our city.  He is telling us that he thinks we need better schools and more parks to play in, and how he wants us to get the money for those things."  I never tell her if I agree or disagree unless it is something that is fundamental to our family values and then only if I can explain it in terms she will understand.  Usually, the answer I get back is; "oh…is the show over or is it coming back?" but given a few years we will see.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.