Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Teacher Holiday Gift Ideas

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting Teacher Holiday Gift Ideas

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Macy Macy 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

In doing some research for what my kids can get their grandparents (see my post about that here) for the holidays, I ran across this cute Martha Stewart site that offers ideas of things kids can make for grandparents AND teachers! Thought I’d share. 🙂

http://www.marthastewart.com/276932/christmas-gifts-kids-can-make-for-parent/@center/307035/santas-workshop

Coming from a teacher’s point of view, there are usually a lot of soaps and lotions (which are nice, however, esp. considering how many times we wash our hands ever day).

Some of the more memorable gifts have been themed gifts.  For instance, I received a movie night basket.  It had two things of microwave popcorn, a couple boxes of movie theater candy, two twenty ounce bottles of coke and a $5 gift card for Blockbuster.  It probably didn’t cost the parent much more than the $5 gift card and was very fun.

I also received a "Dinner in a bag" kit.  It had a box of spaghetti noodles, a jar of sauce, a little shaker of cheese, a loaf of artisan bread and a small package of red checked napkins.

I received a "New Mommy Kit" the Christmas after my son was born which had instant coffee, a package of ear plugs, a package of shout wipes, a little thing of lotion and a cute coffee mug.

There are lots of good ideas out there beyond the standard box of chocolate or thing of lotion, but trust me, those lotions and chocolates are appreciated too!

This year, we’re giving my son’s toddler teacher a Target giftcard (something practical and very useful) as well as a homemade ornament that my son and wife made. I think she’ll like this personal touch and my son is very excited to give his teacher a gift he made. He’s actually already told her about it several times…so much for surprises!

I just posted some ideas I’ve had on the Mom to Mom blog. I hope they help. http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2011/12/teacher-gifts-for-the-holidays/

Ok, yikes. You may want to rethink my previous suggestions. I just posted on the blog again asking for help. Anyone have good teacher gift ideas? http://blogs.brighthorizons.com/momtomom/2011/12/teacher-holiday-gifts-part-2/

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

Last night I was discussing this with a former teacher and she was telling me how a mutual friend asked her for ideas on what to give teachers.  Turns out this particular teacher liked some of the things I have done in the past.  Her favorite was a mix CD of our favorite kids music that I gave to both my kids classrooms.  I’ve also painted ornaments and always try to make them goodies bags filled with a couple different holiday treats.  Of course they always get a huge thank you note and depending on how much they interact with my kids they often get a Dunkin Donuts gift card in $5.00 or $10.00 increments.  One year we gave one teacher who went above and beyond (often) a GC to her favorite restaurant (which she normally can’t treat herself too).  I’ve also bought a book for the classroom, a GC to a craft store or book store.  It sort of varies.

Allison
    Allison
    Participant

My daughters preschool teachers are so wonderful, I wanted to give them each something small for the holidays.  Do you have any gift suggestions, or even homemade crafts that would make great holiday gifts?

Are you giving your child’s teacher anything?

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

I’ve been finding lots of good gift ideas for teachers, grandparents, etc. on Pinterest. There are some great DIY ideas and kids crafts there. Just do a search for holiday gifts and you’ll find a lot of clever ideas…and most are inexpensive to make!

My daughters and I decided that the best way to show appreciation and celebrate the teachers in their lives is to GIVE to children in need in their name.  Specifically, we are purchasing Giving Cards from Living Water International (http://www.water.cc/) and inserting them into water bottles we will purchase for the teachers as a reminder of the gift given in celebration of them.  Just a thought!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.