Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Teaching kids to be appreciative when opening gifts

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Teaching kids to be appreciative when opening gifts

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Macy Macy 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Toya C
    Participant

How do you teach your children to be appreciative when opening gifts from relatives around the holidays? I always hold my breath when they open an item that may be a fantastic gift, but perhaps not something that seems so fantastic to a small child (like clothing). Does anyone have tips for how to talk to your child about being appreciative in a situation like this?

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

It definitely warrants a discussion before the holiday and gift-giving actually happens. No formal rules necessary, but just a good time to have an open conversation with your kids in an age appropriate way. Remind them to think from the perspective of the person giving them a gift.

Profile photo of

For younger kids, it is often helpful to mention ahead of time that you hope one of the packages includes some new socks, or a new shirt, etc. because there are so many children who are not warm enough and new socks and Grandma is thinking about you being able to have fun in the winter by being warm.  Or else, you could say, I hope you will get some new socks or ….., because we will need those things when we go on vacation to ….

For kids in 4th grade and above, I had my kid write a thank you note before they could open the next gift.  That doesn’t  make them any more excited about a gift that’s not too exciting, but they did personally thank the gift giver, and also the kids would sometimes open gifts a little at a time over the course of a day or two.  In the end, they have learned several lessons (thanking someone for a gift, writing in letter format, patience.

Hope some of these are helpful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.