Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Toddler refusing to use fork and spoon

Home Forums Parenting Toddler Toddler refusing to use fork and spoon

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Karrie Triola Karrie Triola 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My toddler is going through a phase where he is refusing to use a fork and spoon. He only wants to eat with his hands. I know he’s capable of it, he’s done it before! I just think the novelty has worn off.  Would love some advice on getting his "manners" back…

It’s probably a phase. Keep encouraging him to use the utensils during every meal, but don’t get too upset if he doesn’t. Eventually he’ll get interested in them again. You might try modeling how to use them for him with explicit instructions like "Look how mommy eats her food with the fork like this…"

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

I agree, I wouldn’t push it.  He’ll start using them again soon.  Our son stopped for awhile too.  I think it’s just easier to eat with your hands.  Put the utensils out and definitely remind him they are there but don’t push.  If you are going to a restaurant, remind him before you leave that he will need to use utensils (but don’t worry if he doesn’t).

It’s just a phase.  Use gentle reminders but don’t push it.  Model the behavior or make up songs about why we use our silverware.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.