Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Train Table Tips

Home Forums Early Education Train Table Tips

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Toya C 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Mary
    Participant

My son is getting a table this Christmas (shhhh it’s from Santa!)  I was at the neighbors tonight and they were telling me how they glued down the tracks in place.  It’s not the first time I’ve heard of this but it totally didn’t cross my mind until tonight.  I realize gluing down the tracks probably hinder some creativity but it also probably avoids a lot of frustration from both child and parent.  if you have/had a train table, what did you do?  Was it the right decision to glue or not glue down the tracks?

Toya C
    Participant

We actually bought my son a train set last year and we did decide to glue down the tracks! We bought a large sturdy table to go along with the train set, glued down the tracks, and had it set up in our playroom with a note from Santa. My son was ecstatic. I’m sure your son will have a similar reaction!

Gluing down the tracks has proved to be a good decision for us. He still has plenty of opportunity for creativity because now he can focus on building up the "little town" all around the tracks, make up stories as he plays with the train, etc….all without the track falling apart every couple runs!

amy dempster
    Participant

My daughter (now 5) had a train set when she was little. I never even thought of gluing the tracks but what a difference that would have made! We were constantly building the same structure over and over again. If I had thought of this back then I probably would have glued some of the tracks and kept some for creative building – which my daughter did like doing as she got older. But maybe that was because my husband and I were too busy to keep building it for her. 🙂

Toya C
    Participant

How did it go? Was the train a big success on Christmas morning? :smileyhappy:

Mary
    Mary
    Participant

We haven’t glued it together yet but I think we will once we get the chance.  He keeps taking it apart and then he can’t play with it, although he has so much fun taking it apart…

We actually set it up in his closet and on Christmas morning he received a note from Santa directing him to look in his closet.  (He had just moved into this new room so he didn’t realize the closet was now emptied with all of mom’s junk.)  The kids thought it was so cool that Santa snuck into his room to set-up the train table.  They still talk about it.  However, I think we will need to move it out because he kind of forgets about it.  The problem with a train table is that they are HUGE so they take up a lot of space.  We’ll have to figure out a good place to put it so he can enjoy it more.  Once it’s out in the open I’m sure it will be really important to glue it down.

Thanks for asking!!

We just got a train set for Christmas too. (a hand me down from older cousins, gotta love having older cousins who keep things well!) I am so glad they did not glue the set down because it allws for so many variations and we do not have to drive over the same set up every day. My daughter (nearly 4) likes deciding on how to set up the track each day whether to put in bridges or not, where the station should go, where to put the Y connetors and T connections etc. The set up takes patience so lots of adult help is needed at first but after a while the child is able to do it one their own. Even my son (nearly 2) like to help assemble the tracks. I find the creativity and problem solving gained through track set up to be worth the extra time and effort. Even the patience and frustration tolerance learned through set up is important too.

However the track falling apart during play can be REALLY frustrating and can hinder some of the creativity. So a solution I came up with is to velcro the parts that usually fall apart (namely the three piece bridge and the ramp tracks with the support beams underneath.) (Note: I velcroed the pieces to each other, not the train table. But you can velcro to the table tooif you wish) The velcro prevents the tracks from falling apart. But it is temporary and can be pulled apart and unstuck at any point in time to change up the set up, clean up and put away the tracks etc. Goo Gone is great for removing any remaining stickiness from the velcro after you take it off.

My advice is try velcro instead of glue. You get the stability without the inflexibility of glue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.