Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

Volunteering with small children?

Home Forums Family Fun & Activities Volunteering with small children?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Ruth Ruth 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Volunteering and giving back is important to my wife and I – this is something we want to share with our young son (age 3). Are there good ways to get small kids involved in volunteering opportunities? Not sure what would be the best way to start.

Ruth
    Ruth
    Participant
    If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.
    ~ Chinese Proverb

This quote is from a Bright Horizons e.family news article titled Teaching Children to Help Others.  The article is full of simple things families can do.

http://www.brighthorizons.com/efamily/article-414/Teaching-Children-to-Help-Others.aspx

Caty Trio
    Participant

This is a fantastic site for getting ideas on teaching children what they can do to make the world a better place. The site includes ideas for family projects and activities that you can do with children of all ages:

Toward a Better World: http://www.brighthorizons.com/education/betterworld.aspx

Doing our part to help the planet is a concept that even little, little children can grasp, so involving your son in activities to help make the world a better place might be an easy way for you to begin. Recycling, gardening, and trash pick-up are all good activities.

Also – if your son loves animals (my kids do!) – there are a lot of ways to get involved with humane societies. You can even make dog and cat toys from simple materials, like felt. This can be a fun craft and you can have a discussion with your son about how you are helping the animals while you are doing the activity.

Bring your kids to community walks or special events for charity!  I brought my daughter to the Walk for Hunger (Boston) last year and although she was in the stroller most of the day, she enjoyed seeing a bunch of people and different activity stations they had set up.  Additionally, more family and friends were willing to donate money towards the cause because they knew my daughter would be taking part with me!

My 5 year old Granddaughter and I were talking last night about the children at her school. She said there was one little boy that everyone laughed at.  She said she didn’t think that was friendly so she didn’t laugh.  Caring about the feelings of others starts early and builds the foundation for doing good for others.  I’m so proud of her.

Hi my name is krissan I would love to work with the children volunteering with little one but older I have worked with to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.