Blog Community
Welcome/Getting Started Parenting Early Education Family Health & Wellness Family Fun & Activities

When to introduce an allowance, for what and how much?

Home Forums Parenting General Parenting When to introduce an allowance, for what and how much?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sarah Montague Sarah Montague 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mary
    Mary
    Participant

We’re thinking of starting an allowance for our soon to be kindergartner.  What age did you start?  What were the chores?  For what amount of allowance?  I was thinking of doing $3.00 per week with 3 daily chores each day.  $1.00 would be for saving, $1.00 for giving away to someone in need and $1.00 for spending.  My husband thought more like $.75 (a quarter for each bucket).  For chores, I came up with making her bed, setting the table and not sure about another.  Any thoughts on all of this?

Funny.  I asked the same thing when my son was going into Kindergarten and got a bunch of ideas here:

http://community.brighthorizons.com/t5/Kindergarten-School-Age/Earning-Allowance-for-chores-any-tips-for-parents-of/td-p/286

Profile photo of Mary
    Mary
    Participant

Wow – the responses to this post are so helpful – thank you!!

Profile photo of Macy
    Macy

It must be the season for questions like this! A few weeks ago I was looking for ideas of chores to have my kids help out with around the house (though I wasn’t really planning to pay them!). I got some great idea suggestions from other members here. Maybe some of these ideas will be a good starting place for you…

http://community.brighthorizons.com/t5/General-Parenting/Suggested-chores-for-kids/m-p/4290#M136

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.