function OptanonWrapper(){ }
Blog Community
Working Parent Parenting & Child Care by Stage Child Development Education Family Health Family Life In the News

A Day in the Life of a Working Dad – Part 2

A Day in the Life of a Working Dad – Part 2

Today’s post is courtesy of Andy Schlosberg, a full-time working dad of a toddler and infant twins. Read about a typical morning in Andy’s life as a working dad in his previous post: Day in the Life of a Working Dad – Part 1

Day in the Life of a Working Dad: Afternoon & Evening

1:45 p.m.
I am in-between meetings and walking past the child care center, so I run in to see the twins and snap a couple quick pictures. My wife is still getting used to Cole and Claire being away from her, so I hope these pictures will help.

6:15 p.m.
Pick-up is relatively easy because the teachers have the twins and all their gear organized. It’s really just a matter of wrestling with the car seats again. Yes, a mini-van would solve this, but I am still fighting that internal battle. So far, we’re lucky that all three of our kids are good in the car, and therefore the trip home is uneventful. After the twins and I arrive home, the dishwasher needs to be loaded immediately so that the bottles can be washed and ready for tomorrow. We have what seems like a thousand bottles, but for some reason it is easier to have this set dedicated to accompanying the twins to the center.

At this point, my wife and I are both exhausted but I muster the energy to play with my toddler, Grey, who has just arrived home with my wife, while she tends to the twins. I had been doing the drop-off and pick-up routine with Grey since he was four months old and we were both used to spending that time together. Now that Grey goes to his child care center with my wife while I commute with the twins, this new routine usually limits our weekday father-son time to hectic mornings, dinner, and baths – not always much fun.

Speaking of baths: I’m not sure if this is normal or if Grey is unique, but bath time for him consists of coercing him into the tub (which he never wants to do), washing him, and then coercing him to get out of the tub (which he also never wants to do). It baffles me every night. How can you not want to get in, and then just a few minutes later, not want to get out? Do other people experience this?

8:15 p.m.
Bedtime with Grey is usually easy, and once he is down it is time for bottles for the twins and laundry. Of course, the Blackberry is always nearby so I can attend to any work emails that require replies of no more than a sentence or two. My wife, who is feeling the same working parent guilt with the twins that I feel with Grey, is juggling Cole and Claire to spend time with them while simultaneously ordering food (we eat a lot of take-out), changing diapers, and laying out clothes for tomorrow. Sometimes all at once and more. We also use this time to do some online house-hunting. As I mentioned, we’re currently living in a two-bedroom apartment in the city. It’s time for a house out of the city.

9:30 p.m.
The twins go down for the night relatively easily, but we know that it is not going to last. My wife prefers to take the first evening shift and finds it easier to wake up from the living room couch rather than the bed, so she is winding down on the couch looking for houses on the iPad, knowing that her midnight feeding is not far off. I am catching up on emails and trying to organize the apartment a little bit.

11:00 p.m.
Bedtime for me. I read for a bit and fall asleep as quickly as possible because I know my 3:30 a.m. wake-up call is also not very far off…

Andy Schlosberg Bright Horizons BloggerI’m a working dad of a toddler and infant twins. I’ll be sharing my adventures as I attempt to navigate the challenges of working full-time, parenting three children under age three, house-hunting, moving…and finding time to sleep.




Please Log In to Comment